Score: Wofford 63, Western Carolina 55
Records: Western Carolina 4-20, 0-9 SoCon, Wofford 12-13, 4-5 SoCon
Location: Ramsey Center, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s basketball dropped a close contest to Wofford 63-55 Saturday in the Ramsey Center as part of the Catamounts’ annual Play4Kay game.
The Catamounts were down by just three, 58-55, in the final 1:07 of the game but the Terriers held WCU scoreless in the closing minute of the game. In that final minute, the Terriers outscored Western Carolina 8-0 including going 3-of-4 from the free throw line.
Wofford built an eight-point, 20-12, lead after the first period and milked that advantage the remainder of the game. In the ensuing three periods, the Terriers had a one-point (12-11) advantage in the second, lost the third to WCU (15-14) and each team had 17 in the fourth.
- Junior Judith Martin Ruiz led all Catamounts with 16 points including seven rebounds and connecting on a pair of three-pointers. She also had four assists.
- Freshman Gabby Smith followed with 14 points including hitting a career-high two three-pointers in the contest.
- Kayla Brown led the team with eight rebounds.
- Wofford’s Chloe Wanink led all scorers with 26 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Wofford led for 39 of the 40 minutes in the game.
- Western Carolina outrebounded Wofford 39-30.
- The Catamounts had 20 turnovers in the game turning into 12 points for the Terriers.
- The Catamounts were 11-of-14 from the free throw line.
- Wofford shot 41 percent from the field while Western Carolina shot 38 percent.
News & Notes
- Martin Ruiz’s 16 points mark the sixth straight game she has scored in double figures which is a team-high for the season.
- Smith scored in double figures for the fifth time this season with her 14 points.
- Martin Ruiz and Smith combined to hit all four of the Catamounts’ three-pointers in the game.
- Western Carolina will play three of its last five games at home.
Western Carolina hits the road for its final two road games of the season next week. The Catamounts travel to Samford on Thursday, Feb. 14, and Mercer on Saturday, Feb. 16.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.