Score: Samford 75, Western Carolina 42
Records: Western Carolina 3-15, 0-4 SoCon, Samford 6-12, 1-2 SoCon
Location: Ramsey Center, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s basketball fell to visiting Samford 75-42 Saturday in the Ramsey Center.
Western Carolina trailed by just three, 16-13, at the end of the first period but was swarmed by Samford in the ensuing second and third period. The Bulldogs outscored Western Carolina by a combined 44-16 in the second and third period as Samford scored 24 in the second and 20 in the third.
- Senior guard Angel Allen led the Catamounts with 16 points and was the only Catamount to score in double figures.
- Freshman Kayla Brown continues to put in solid work with five points and six rebounds.
- Samford’s Natalie Armstrong notched a double-double with 10 rebounds and a game-leading 21 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Samford shot 50 percent from the field.
- The Bulldogs connected on 11 three-pointers in the game. It was the fifth time this season Western Carolina has allowed an opponent hit 11 three-pointers in a game.
- Western Carolina committed 22 turnovers in the game and Samford turned it into 24 points.
- The Catamounts were 10-of-14 from the free throw line.
- The 27 field goals made by Western Carolina ties for the most this season.
- Samford ripped down 33 rebounds and Western Carolina had 30.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina has now lost 10-straight to Samford.
- The Catamounts are suffering through its longest losing streak of the season – seven straight.
- Allen has scored in double figures six times this season and in two-straight games.
- Brown played in her fifth game since returning from injury and has started the last two. She is averaging 7.8 points and 5.6 rebounds in the last five games.
- Freshman Jada Miller earned her first start of the season against Samford.
- Western Carolina started its youngest lineup of the season against the Bulldogs with three freshmen (Jewel Smalls, Brown and Miller), one junior (Tess Harris) and one senior (Allen).
Western Carolina completes its three-game homestand hosting North Greenville at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Ramsey Center.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.