April 1, 2012
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. -
Gardner-Webb swept Western Carolina, 7-0, Sunday afternoon in Boiling Springs, N.C. in non-conference action. The Catamounts fall to 1-11 on the season with the loss while Gardner-Webb improves to 11-8.
In the No. 1 doubles match, Gardner-Webb's Oprea and Jenny Lunde downed Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz and Megan McLinden by a score of 8-4. GWU's No. 2 and No. 3 teams defeated the Catamounts by scores of 8-1 and 8-0.
In singles play, the Catamounts were blanked in the No. 4 and No. 5 matches, 6-0, 6-0. Katie Barry was defeated in the No. 3 spot by Alice Hopkins. Hopkins won 6-0, 6-1 over Barry. At No. 2 singles, Megan McLinden was downed by Alice Hopkins, 6-0, 6-1 while Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz fell 6-2, 6-0 to Erica White in the No. 1 match. GWU's Yasmin Doost took the No. 6 match by default.
Western Carolina returns home to conference play this Tuesday as the Furman Paladins come to Cullowhee for an afternoon match set to begin at 3:00 p.m. in the first of its three matches this week. Results from Tuesday's match can be found on CatamountSports.com.
1. Erica White (GWU) def. Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz (WCU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Alice Hopkins (GWU) def. Megan McLinden (WCU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ioana Oprea (GWU) def. Katie Barry (WCU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jenny Lunde (GWU) def. Sarah Walters (WCU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Tavenner Black (GWU) def. Taylor Casey (WCU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Yasmin Doost (GWU) def. No player (WCU), by default
1. Ioana Oprea/Jenny Lunde (GWU) def. Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz / Megan McLinden (WCU) 8-4
2. Alice Hopkins/Yasmin Doost (GWU) def. Karen Jiménez / Katie Barry (WCU) 8-1
3. Erica White/Ronia Hutterli (GWU) def. Sarah Walters / Taylor Casey (WCU) 8-0
Western Carolina 1-11, 0-3
Gardner-Webb University 11-8, 3-4