Feb. 11, 2012
CONWAY, S.C. -
The Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina defeated Western Carolina in its opening match of the 2012 spring season, blanking the Catamounts Saturday afternoon, 7-0.
Coastal set the tone early with a sweep of the doubles matches. The Catamounts fell in all six singles matches Saturday. In the No. 1 singles match, Miki Bunea defeated Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz 6-2, 6-3. In her first match as the No. 2 singles player for WCU, junior Karen Jiménez was defeated 6-2, 6-2. After dropping the first set 6-0, freshman Megan McLinden fought back to take three games from Coastal's Kristoffersson, but ultimately was defeated in the second set, 6-3. The Chanticleers blanked the Catamounts in the No. 4- No. 6 matches.
Western Carolina will host its first home match this season as the Tornados of Brevard College travel to Cullowhee for a 2 pm, Thursday afternoon tilt at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
1. Miki Bunea (CCU) def. Ainhoa Iglesias Díaz (WCU): 6-2, 6-3
2. Diana Mortlock (CCU) def. Karen Jiménez (WCU): 6-2, 6-2
3. Mikaela Kristofersson (CCU) def. Megan McLinden (WCU): 6-0, 6-3
4. Katie Fosnacht (CCU) def. Jessica Swan (WCU): 6-0, 6-0
5. Amanda Malatek (CCU) def. Katie Barry (WCU): 6-0, 6-0
6. Dominique DeWit (CCU) def. Sarah Walters (WCU): 6-0, 6-0