2014 Catamount Softball Season Recap
May 14, 2014
Western Carolina Softball 2014 Recap
- Freshmen Kara Salvo and Courtney Price were 2014 SoCon All-Conference Second team and SoCon All-Freshman Team selections.
- Sophomore Taylor Sigmon was a 2014 Capitol Once First Team Academic All-District III selection.
- Western Carolina earned a No. 6 seed in the Southern Conference Tournament after being picked eighth in the preseason Southern Conference Coaches poll ... It is the third straight season, under Head Coach Jim Clift, the team exceeded its preseason pick.
- For the first time in Catamount softball's nine year history, the Catamounts have won at least one game in the SoCon Championships two years in a row.
- Western Carolina upset UAB 5-4, in eight innings, March 1, 2014 - a team that just earned its fifth straight bid into the NCAA Championships ... UAB was the preseason pick in Conference USA and finished the season ranked second in the conference.
- Western Carolina won three conference series in 2014 getting series wins over Elon, Samford and UNCG.
- Junior pitcher Jordan Garrett broke the Catamount career strikeout record ... Founding member of the Catamount Softball 500 Strikeout Club, currently with 534 in her career ... Tied the school record for most wins in a career by a Catamount pitcher with 35 ... Third straight year with double digit wins with 10 in 2014.
- Taylor Sigmon broke the single-season and career record for most saves with six in 2014.
- Sophomore Karley Harkey tied the school record for triples in a season with six.
- Senior outfielder Amelia Griffin ended her career as the career record holder in steals (50), walks (71) and also holds the single-season stolen base record with 16 ... Tied for first in runs scored in a career with 108 ... Third in hits for a career with 170 and tied for second for most games played at 217.
- Against rival, and outgoing Southern Conference member Appalachian State, Western Carolina was 2-2 against the Mountaineers in the 2014 season ... The Catamounts were 1-2 in the regular season against Appalachian State before ousting the Mountaineers, 3-2, in the consolation bracket of the 2014 SoCon Championships on a walk-off two RBI single by sophomore Taylor Sigmon in the bottom of the seventh when WCU was trailing 2-1.