SOFTBALL CENTRAL: Western Carolina at Chattanooga
May 2, 2014
|Sat., May 3||Western Carolina at Chattanooga||5/7 p.m. ET||Live Audio | Live Stats|
|Sun.,May 4||Western Carolina at Chattanooga||2:00 p.m. ET||Live Audio | Live Stats|
- Freshman Courtney Price is on a seven game hitting streak, one shy of tying her season-high of eight, and has also reached base safely in the last nine games ... Fellow freshman Kara Salvo is just behind her having reached base safely in the last seven games.
- Amelia Griffin is also chasing the career record for runs scored as she currently has 107 runs in her career and needs two to break the record set by former Catamount Stephanie Beatty with 108.
- Sophomore relief pitcher, and starting first baseman, Taylor Sigmon's was named to the 2014 Capital One Academic All-District III First Team ... Her six saves in the 2014 season leads the nation as well as the SoCon ... Her six saves, this season and in her career, also leads Western Carolina both for the season and the career in the Catamount record books ... In her last six appearances on the mound in relief, having tossed 11 innings in that span, Sigmon has a 1.27 ERA, allowing two runs, eight hits and struck out 16 ... She has also only allowed two extra base hits, a pair of doubles.
- Western Carolina is 5-5 in the last 10 games and 5-3 in Southern Conference games ... A pair of freshman are hitting above .300 in the last 10 games with Courtney Price leading the way with a .333 average and Kara Salvo following with a .320 ... The freshman duo have combined for 18 of WCU's 54 hits, in the last 10 games.
- Western Carolina, based on their performance at Chattanooga and those around them, could finish as high as fourth or as low as eighth. The Catamounts hold series records over Elon, Samford and UNCG ... The Catamounts would plummet all the way to eighth should a 5-12 Appalachian State sweep Furman this weekend but one loss in the series by the Mountaineers would keep WCU out of the eighth spot. Also a sweep by Elon over UNCG would cause the Catamounts to slip from its middle of the pack slot but one Elon loss will also keep WCU out of seventh or eighth ... Should Elon get one win from UNCG that would give the Spartans a 9-12 SoCon record as they are in sixth place. If WCU get a win at Chattanooga, pushing the Catamount record to 9-12, Western Carolina would win the head-to-head over the Spartan and stay at fifth ... A Georgia Southern sweep of Samford, who is 9-8, would allow Western Carolina to neak up to fourth place if the Catamounts won at least two games against Chattanooga. With the Bulldogs losing a game, due to weather, they would have the better winning percentage though WCU played its full slate of games.
|AT A GLANCE||Series History|
|All-Time: Chatt, 23-3
In Chattanooga: Chatt, 10-2
Most Recent Games: