SOFTBALL CENTRAL: Competes in Charleston Challenge This Weekend
March 17, 2017
|Catamount Softball at Charleston Challenge|
|Game 1||at College of Charleston | Saturday, Mar. 18 | 3:30 p.m. | Live Stats|Watch Live|
|Game 2||vs. Ohio | Saturday, Mar. 18 | 5:30 p.m. | Live Stats|
|Game 3||vs. Ohio | Sunday, Mar. 19 | 10:00 a.m. | Live Stats|
|Game 4||at College of Charleston | Sunday, Mar. 19 | 2:00 p.m. | Live Stats|Watch Live|
|Location||Patriots Point Athletics Complex (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.)|
|Social Media||@Catamounts | Facebook |@wcu_catamounts (Instagram)|
#NOTE - TIMES WERE CHANGED FRIDAY AFTERNOON FOR SATURDAY GAMES!!!
Western Carolina Notes
- Western Carolina will meet host College of Charleston and Ohio twice each in the Charleston Challenge March 18-19. The Catamounts are 12-16 against former Southern Conference member College of Charleston ... WCU's last meeting after the Cougars left the SoCon was last season, 2016, when the Catamounts got a 9-1 victory over the Cougars at a tournament at Savannah State ... The last meeting between WCU and College of Charleston, while the Cougars were still in the SoCon came in the 2013 SoCon Championships with the Catamounts coming out on top 3-1 to advance in the tournament ... WCU is 4-9 against College of Charleston in Charleston and 3-1 against
heCougars in the last four meetings ... WCU is 2-1 against Ohio, with all the meetings coming in Cullowhee ... WCU has won the last two meetings against Ohio with a 12-1 win in 2015 and a 9-6 victory in 2012.
- Senior third baseman Kara Salvo broke the WCU school record for being hit by a pitch in the career when she was plunked twice on Wednesday against USC Upstate to push her career total to 34 and take over first place.
- Western Carolina has won two out of the last five games ... In the last five games, WCU was shutout once, a 1-0 loss to Albany ... In all three losses, WCU lost by one run or less ... In the Catamounts' two wins, over the last five games, WCU outscored those opponents 21-5 ... In those last five games, sophomore Hunter Gibbons led the team with a .412 batting average with seven hits, five runs scored, three doubles and three RBI ... On the pitching mound, sophomore pitcher Shaina Reed has a 0.87 ERA in three appearances, over the last five games, with 10.1 innings pitched, six hits, two runs, one earned, and 11 strikeouts.
- Courtney Price now has 94 career runs and remains in fourth place in the WCU record books. She needs seven more runs to move into third place. The record is 108 held, in a two-way tie, between former Catamounts Amelia Griffin and Stephanie Beatty. Price ranks fifth in the WCU record books for hits in a career with 163. She needs eight hits to move into fourth place. The career-record watch continues for Price in the category of doubles, along with teammate Kara Salvo, as each have 29 career doubles. The duo is chasing the school record of 32 set by former Catamount Beatty who ended her storied career with 32.
- Junior Abigail Daniels has reached base safely in the last 12 games and is on an eight-game hitting streak. The closest behind her, in a hitting streak, is Madison Armstrong and Kassandra Flores who have gotten a hit in the last three games.