Score: Mercer 3, Western Carolina 2
Records: Western Carolina 4-8-2, (1-3-1 SoCon), Mercer 9-5 (3-1 SoCon)
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. - Western Carolina women's soccer's second-half comeback attempt against Mercer fell short as the Catamounts fell 3-2 Friday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Mercer scored a quick three first-half goals putting Western Carolina on its heels early. The Catamounts battled back in the second half but just couldn't pull even with the Bears.
Mercer scored three first-half goals forcing Western Carolina to play catch-up the remainder of the game.
- Emily Threatt scored Western Carolina's only goal in the game.
-Mercer's Sarah Adcock scored a goal and had an assist.
- Threatt had four shots in the game and Sayres McKenna had three.
Inside the Box Score
- Mercer scored three first-half goals two in the first seven-plus minutes of the game. The Bears would score the third, and what would prove to be game-winner, at the 22nd minute of the first half. - Western Carolina scored its first goal of the game off a set piece by Megan McCallister who took a free kick near the sidelines on the left side. The ball careened toward the goal, bounced in front of the goal, hit the top of the post and went in at 55:52.
- The Catamounts pulled within one goal of the Bears at 63:48 when Threatt took a pass from Kasey Cooke and took on the Mercer goalie one-on-one shooting it into the left side of the goal past the Bears' goalie.
- The Catamounts had a golden chance to tie the game two minutes after its second goal, at the 67th minute when Mercer was called for a handball inside the box. McKenna took the penalty kick but Mercer's goalie Jordyn Ebert earned the save to turn WCU away.
- Western Carolina had 12 shots in the game while Mercer had seven. The Bears' first three shots in the game were goals.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina's two goals were the second time in as many games the Catamounts have scored multiple goals in a game.
- The game with Mercer was decided by one goal. It is the 11th time in 14 games a Catamount game has been decided by one goal.
- Threatt's goal was her fourth of the season which is a season-high for the sophomore. Her eight points this season ties her point total from last season.
- Cooke earned her third assist this season and gives her eight in her career.
- McCallister scored her sixth goal of the season which leads the team. It gives her 15 points for the season.
Western Carolina plays its final home game of the season Sunday hosting The Citadel on Senior Day. The game is scheduled for 2 p.m. but keep an eye on catamountsports.com for any weather-related changes. Seniors Cooke, Mary Dixon, Anna Marie Mellis, Brianna Sears and Deyana Walker will be honored prior to the game.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.