Skip to main content Skip to footer
Women's Soccer and Elon Play to 1-1 Tie in Double OT

Senior Lindsay Carter hit a penatly kick, in the second half, to tie the game at one.

Sept. 21, 2012

Box Score

CULLOWHEE, N.C. - Senior Lindsay Carter's penalty kick, at the 75:31marke of the second half, helped push Western Carolina women's soccer (4-4-1, 0-0-1 SoCon) to a 1-1 tie, in double overtimes, against Elon (2-5-3, 0-0-1 SoCon) Friday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.

The Catamounts trailed for most of the match after Elon scored 16 minutes into the contest. Caroline O'Dee took a shot from about 25 yards out for the score. O'Dee's shot went into the box and bounced just in front of Western Carolina senior goalie Katie Jacobs. The ball took a funny turn and then bounced over Jacobs' head for the score.

Western Carolina had a wealth of chances in both halves; both to score to tie the game and then take the lead with a season-high 24 shots in the contest.

The Catamounts tied the match late in the second half as Western Carolina continued to press offensively. A scrum about 10 yards in front of the goal forced a foul to be called on Elon and awarded Western Carolina the penalty kick attempt. Carter took the shot sending it past Phoenix goalie Kate Murphy for the Catamount goal. It was Carter's first PK attempt and second goal of her career.

After Carter's goal, Elon had one shot attempt in an effort to get the win as Kim Gardner took a shot but it was saved by sophomore Jennifer Lauer. About 20 minutes into the first half, Lauer had subbed in for Jacobs. It was Lauer's first action of the season.

Western Carolina and Elon had just one shot each in the first overtime. Just a minute and a half into the first overtime junior Christine Kaznowski had a shot that looked like it was going in. Kaznowski took a shot about 10 yards out on the left side slicing toward the goal but it hooked just right of the goal post. The second OT was all Western Carolina as far as shots go as the Catamounts had nine of its 28 shots, in the contest, in the second overtime.



There was a procession of shots right of the gate, for Western Carolina, to start the second OT. Redshirt senior Samantha Hodge got back-to-back looks at the 101 minute mark with an attempt that was saved by Phoenix goalie Murphy, who bobbled the ball, and gave Hodge a second chance that was blocked. Fellow senior Laura Greb picked up the ball, from the block, and had an open look at the Phoenix goal Greb's shot looked on point, and the fans were preparing to celebrate the goal, but the ball hooked and skimmed off the bottom of the goal post.

But Western Carolina wasn't finished. A minute later Mackenzie Cole took a shot that was saved by Murphy.

In the final 18 seconds of the second overtime, Western Carolina sent a volley of shots at Elon goalie Mruphy. In that span, Greb sent a shot high, Hodge took a shot that was saved by Murphy and Amanda Schwartz rounded out the attempts with a wide shot.

Lauer took the decision, in goal, for Western Carolina and is 0-0-1 for the season. She played 89:37 minutes of shutout soccer and had three saves.

It was Western Carolina's second consecutive double overtime match, after losing 2-1 to Campbell on September 16. Elon had just eight shots in the contest.

Western Carolina travels to UNCG on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match with the Spartans.