Score: Western Carolina 3, UT Martin 2, OT
Records: Western Carolina 2-4-1, UT Martin 2-5-2
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex - Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. -- Junior midfielder Sayres McKenna scored a golden goal in Western Carolina women's soccer's 3-2 overtime win against UT Martin Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
In a very physical game, that saw four yellow cards distributed between the two teams (three for WCU and one to UTM, the Catamounts prevailed after racking up 24 shots in the game.
With the game tied 2-2, Western Carolina scored in the 92nd minute of overtime to snap the tie and take home the win.
-McKenna scored her second goal of the season and second game-winner on the year. She also had five shots in the game.
- For the third time this season, Emily Threatt scored the opening goal of the game.
- Megan McCallister scored her third goal of the season and also notched an assist.
- Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Jacquelyn
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina struck first in the game off a goal by Threatt taking a pass from McCallister and sending it in past the UT Martin into the top right of the goal just six minutes into the game.
- At the 20th minute, UT Martin tied the game making it 1-1 as the teams went into half time.
- UT Martin took its first lead of the game, 2-1, scoring at 54:03 in the second half.
- Just a minute later, at 55:47, McCallister juked the goalie from a pass by Emily Zipay for the goal.
- Western Carolina won the game on McKenna's golden goal from a deflected pass by Kasey Cooke. - Western Carolina has a season-high 24 shots against UT Martin.
News & Notes
- The overtime game with UT Martin is the second time in as many games Western Carolina played to overtime ... WCU dropped a 2-1 decision to Lipscomb on Sept. 7.
- The Catamounts are now 1-1-1 in overtime games this season.
- With the win against UT Martin, WCU is now 2-0 against the Skyhawks all-time.
- McCallister and Threatt each now lead the Catamounts with three goals each.
- McCallister also leads the team with three assists and paces the team with nine points.
- The game against UT Martin was the fourth team this season the Catamounts have played from the state of Tennessee. So far, WCU is 1-3 against teams from the Volunteer state this season.
- The three goals scored by WCU, against UT Martin, is the most for the Catamounts since scoring three in the 3-1 opening game of the year against Morehead State. WCU is 2-0 this season when scoring three goals.
- With the goal against UT Martin, McKenna now has 35 points in her career ranking her tied for 11th in the WCU record books for points in a career. She also ranks tied for 20th in the Catamount record books for goals in a career with 10.
Western Carolina heads back on the road for the Catamounts' final pair of non-conference games of the season. The Catamounts travel to Campbell on Friday and then tangle with NC State on Sunday.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.