WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CENTRAL: Opens SoCon Play Thursday at ETSU
Jan. 3, 2018
|Catamount Women’s Basketball at ETSU|
|Game 15||at ETSU | Thurs., Jan. 4 | 7:00 p.m. | Live Stats|Listen Live|ESPN3|
|Location||Johnson City, Tenn. (Brooks Gym)|
|Social Media||@Catamounts | Facebook |@wcu_catamounts (Instagram)|
Western Carolina women’s basketball opens Southern Conference play at 7 p.m. Thursday at ETSU. The game can be heard on the Catamount Sports Network and seen on ESPN3.
Five Things to Know
- LOSING STREAK SNAPPED: Western Carolina snapped a four-game losing streak with a 79-34 win at home over Brevard to close out 2017 on New Year’s Eve afternoon ... The Catamounts scored a season-high 79 points in the game ... In fact, the 79 points is the most scored by a Western Carolina women’s basketball team since scoring 95 points in the win over North Greenville on Nov. 20, 2016.
- STARTING TO SURGE: Western Carolina is starting to surge ... Over the last four games, the 1-3 record isn’t reflective of the improvement of the team ... Over the last four games, WCU is averaging 68.5 points and shooting 41.7 percent from the field and 36.2 percent from behind the three-point arch ... WCU also has three players averaging double figures in scoring over the last four games with Sherae Bonner leading the way averaging a double-double of 14.3 points and 12.7 rebounds ... Julia Brown follows Bonner averaging 11 points over the last four games and Tess Harris is close behind averaging 10.8 points per game over the last four contests. Nikki Johnson is just under double figures averaging 8.3.
- OPENING SOCON PLAY: Western Carolina opens Southern Conference play on Thursday at ETSU ... The Catamounts are 12-23 in opening Southern Conference play ... Western Carolina’s last SoCon win to open SoCon play came on Nov. 26, 2013, against former SoCon member Appalachian State when the Catamounts defeated the Mountaineers 71-63 in Boone, N.C.
- RANKED IN SOCON AND NATIONALLY: As Western Carolina enters SoCon play, the Catamounts lead the SoCon in three-point defense allowing 25.7 percent and rank 14th in the nation ... Individually, Sherae Bonner leads the SoCon in blocked shots (19) and blocked shots per game (1.46) ... Bonner also ranks second in SoCon in defensive rebounds averaging 7.0 per game and 27th nationally ... Bonner ranks second in overall rebounds in the SoCon with 119 and second for rebounds per game with 9.2.
- MEETING ETSU: Western Carolina and ETSU meet for the 70th time in the two school history ... The Buccaneers lead the overall series 47-22 and have won the last seven meetings - all since rejoining the Southern Conference in 2015 ... Western Carolina’s last victory over ETSU was a non-conference meeting on Dec. 1, 2013, when the Catamounts defeated the Buccaneers 58-56 in Cullowhee ... In the last seven meetings, WCU averaged 52.8 points per game while ETSU averaged 64.8 points per game ... ETSU has won the last two games by double-digits however the game in Cullowhee on Feb. 11, 2016, was decided by just two points with ETSU escaping 45-43 ... It was one of only two games in the last seven meetings to be decided by three points or less as ETSU won the first meeting between the two schools after the Buccaneers returned to the SoCon on Feb. 7, 2015, when ETSU won in Cullowhee 63-60 ... Western Carolina’s last win at ETSU came 20 years ago when the Catamounts defeated the Buccaneers 78-70 on Jan. 7, 1998.