Score: High Point 75, Western Carolina 69
Records: Western Carolina 2-10, High Point, 5-5
Location: Mills Center, High Point, N.C.
HIGH POINT, N.C. -- Western Carolina women's basketball had four players score in double figures, led by Sherae Bonner's double-double 17 points and 18 rebounds, in the heartbreaking 75-69 loss to High Point Friday in the Mills Center.
The Catamounts mounted a valiant effort, including clawing back from a 12-point deficit, to take an eventual 66-59 lead in the fourth period. High Point, however, outscored the Catamounts 16-3 in the final four minutes to retake the lead and capture the win.
Tied at 69 with 58 seconds left, High Point hit a bucket with 39 seconds left and was fouled to complete the comeback outscoring WCU 6-0 in that final minute.
- Bonner notched her second straight double-double with 17 points and 18 rebounds.
- Harris connected on three three-pointers ending with 15.
- Brown hit a pair of three-pointers and had 11 points.
- Martin Ruiz's 10 points was a career-high and also hit a pair of three-pointers.
- JonTay Mitchem had five assist in the game.
- High Points' Emma Bockrath led the Panthers with 17.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina connected on a season-best eight three-pointers.
- Western Carolina had 24 turnovers in the game allowing High Point to score 28 points on the Catamount miscues. On the flip side, High Point had just 10 turnovers.
- The Catamounts shot 41.5 percent from the field but suffered through a poor shooting fourth period shooting just 29.4 percent.
- The Catamounts were productive at the line hitting 17-of-23.
- Western Carolina had a season-best 17 assists in the game.
News & Notes
- With 18 rebounds in the game against High Point, Bonner now has 768 career rebounds moving her into eighth place in the WCU record books. She now needs 12 rebounds to move into seventh place overtaking Western Carolina Hall of Fame member Laura Echols who ended her career with 790 (1998-02).
-The Catamounts 69 points in the game was a season-high and are the first time this season Western Carolina has scored 60 or more points in back-to-back games.
- Bonner now has 780 points in her career and continues to chase the 1,000 point plateau. She needs 220 to reach the milestone. Western Carolina has not had a 1,000 point scorer since 2012. - In the last two games, Bonner is averaging 18.5 points and 16 rebounds.
- Martin Ruiz, whose mom and sister traveled from Spain to see her play, had a career night with 10 points, five rebounds, three assists and connected on a pair of three-pointers.
Western Carolina will break for the holidays and return to the hardwood on Dec. 28 when the Catamounts travel to Gardner-Webb for a 7 p.m. tip-off.
The game concludes a four-game road trip for WCU. For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.