Score: Western Carolina 62, UNCA 52
Records: Western Carolina 1-1, UNCA 0-1
Location: Ramsey Center - Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. - Senior forward Sherae Bonner logged in a double-double of 18 points and 14 rebounds to help pace Western Carolina women's basketball to a 62-52 victory over visiting UNCA Sunday in the Ramsey Center.
The Catamounts led for the final 30 plus minutes of the game after the game was tied at 22 with 1:34 left in the second period. WCU re-took the lead on a lay-up by Raziyah Farrington to make the score 24-22. It would be a nip and tuck game for the remainder of the second half but Western Carolina would never trail the Bulldogs again.
Western Carolina was 10-of-15 from the free throw line and Kyia Hough was 4-of-4 in the final 36 seconds of the game to keep a surging UNCA at bay. Hough ended the game 7-of-8 from the free throw line.
The lead changed six times in the first two periods of the game but a 7-0 run by Western Carolina, to close out the second, gave the Catamounts a 29-22 lead at the half. WCU would parlay that lead into a buffer between itself and the Bulldogs that UNCA could never break through.
- Bonner had a monster night with leading all scorers with 18 points. She also pulled down14 rebounds adding four blocks and two assists.
- Hough was second on the team with 15 points and was also 7-of-8 from the free throw line. She also hit two of the Catamounts' four three-pointers.
- Raziyah Farrington had 12 points for WCU and also dished out three assists.
- UNCA's Khalia Webb led the Bulldogs with 12 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina shot a crisp 50 percent from the field and held UNCA to 31.6 percent.
- The Catamounts just edged the Bulldogs in rebounding with 36 to UNCA's 33. Thirty of Western Carolina's rebounds were on the defensive side.
- WCU picked up 26 points inside the pain and 16 points off UNCA turnovers.
- WCU hit four three-pointers in the game.
- The Catamounts were 10-of-15 from the free throw line while UNCA was 13-of-20.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina's win over UNCA halts a two-game losing streak to the Bulldogs.
- Bonner's 14 rebounds against UNCA gives her 678 in her career and moves her into 11th place in the WCU record books for rebounds in a career. She is now chasing 10th place and needs 35 to replace former Catamount Beth Crisp who had 712 from 1978-82.
- Bonner's four blocks push her career total to 107 keeping her in fourth place in the WCU record books. She now needs 21 blocks to move into third place.
- Western Carolina's game against UNCA is the second of three games in five days as the Catamounts will host EKU Wednesday at noon for Education Day.
- Western Carolina had three players score in double figures.
- Bonner's double-double is her first of the season.
- Bonner's 18 points are just five
Western Carolina completes its three-game homestand by hosting EKU at noon on Wednesday as part of the Catamounts' annual Education Day.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.