Oct. 16, 2013
Game Day Live (Live Blog)
Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina will induct its 24th class into its Athletics Hall of Fame this weekend surrounding its first home football game in a month as the Catamounts host Wofford Saturday. WCU will induct five former student-athletes representing three different sports and the first Patron Award recipient since 2005 as a part of the six-person induction class.
Christy Attebery Kennelly (Volleyball, 1998-2001), Al "Mutt" DeGraffenreid (Football, 1974-76; Coach, 1977-96), Frankie King (Men's Basketball, 1993-95), David L. Jones (Men's Basketball, 1957-60), George "Ronnie" Scott (Football, 1964-66) and the 11th Patron Award recipient, Mr. Alden McCrackenmake up the 2013 induction class, the largest group since also inducting six in 2010.
The special Hall of Fame weekend gets underway with the Catamount Volleyball team hosting The Citadel in Southern Conference action in the Ramsey Center Friday night at 7:00 pm. Meanwhile, in the Blue Ridge Conference Room, the Hall of Fame pinning ceremony gets underway at 6:30 pm on Friday evening.
On Saturday morning, the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is scheduled in the Blue Ridge Conference Room with a reception at 8:30 am followed by the ceremony at 9:30 am. Following the event, all inductees and their families will be guests in the Catamount Club's Purple Zone, with on-campus tailgating beginning at Noon.
Western Carolina (1-6, 0-3 SoCon) hosts the triple-option ground attack of the 12th-ranked Wofford Terriers at 3:30 pm at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field. The game is the SoCon Game of the Week (#SoConGOW, #WOFvsWCU on social media) and will be broadcast on ESPN3 with Darren Goldwater (play-by-play) and Paul Maguire (color analyst) on the call. During halftime, the WCU's six newest members of the Athletics Hall of Fame will be honored in a special on-field ceremony.
Watch No. 12 Wofford at Western Carolina on ESPN3
Immediately following Saturday's football game, the volleyball team returns to the court in hosting SoCon-leader, Georgia Southern, in the Ramsey Center at 7:00 pm. Attebery will again be recognized during a pregame ceremony at the volleyball match.
Hall of Fame weekend wraps up on Sunday afternoon as Western Carolina hosts Wofford on the pitch for a key SoCon match. Prior to start, WCU will honor its four seniors - Alex Gastesi, Christine Kaznowski, Kayla Sedgley and Katie Weigel. Kickoff is slated for 2:00 pm.
Fans can follow both volleyball matches and Sunday's soccer match online with a live video stream (subscription) through Catamount All-Access.
Catamount Sports Network Adds 1590 AM WBHN to Lineup
Earlier this week, Western Carolina and its radio network - the Catamount Sports Network (CSN) - added a 12th station to its lineup for the coverage of Catamount Football as 1590 AM WBHN in Bryson City joined the fold. Serving Swain County, 1590 AM WBHN last carried Catamount Athletics on its airwaves in 2008 as a part of CSN.
Saturday's game will be broadcast on the Catamount Sports Network broadcast with an air time of 2:30 pm across all 12 stations and online at CatamountSports.com. Fans can listen to the game locally on WWCU-FM, Power 90dot5 in Cullowhee; 540 AM WRGC in Sylva; 1050 AM WFSC in Franklin; 920 AM WPTL in Canton; 1150 AM WAVO in Charlotte/Rock Hill, S.C.; 1270 AM WCGC in Belmont/Gaston County; on ESPN Radio 1310 & 970 AM in Asheville/Canton; 1590 AM WBHN in Bryson City/Swain County; 1600 AM WTZQ in Hendersonville; and on Country Legends 550 and 92.9 in Statesville.
Things to Know Before You Go:
- Gates at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field open 90 minutes prior to kickoff for all home games ... On Saturday afternoon, fans can enter the stadium for pre-game beginning at 2:00 pm ... Tailgating with alcoholic beverages is permitted three and a half hours prior to kickoff, beginning at Noon;
- The first 500 students through the gates on Saturday will receive FREE thunder sticks;
- Fans tailgating in Cullowhee on Saturday will be notified when it's 30 and 15 minutes prior to kickoff by the iconic Catamount Growl that will be played over the University's first-alert speaker system;
- Game day ticket sales can take place at any of the entrances to E.J. Whitmire Stadium ... Will Call for Saturday's game will take place at the Northwest Ticket Booth (Gate 1, main stadium entrance) beginning at 10:00 am ... All other ticket booths and gates open at 2:00 pm;
- Fans can avoid the lines on game day by purchasing tickets online at CatamountSports.com;
- Gate 2, which in years past has served as the main student entrance, will ONLY be open for entry for members of the Student Catamount Club ... the gate will close at 3:25 pm ahead of kickoff ... Students and fans who are NOT a part of the Student Catamount Club will need to use Gate 3 at the top of the stairs or Gate 4 along Forest Hills Drive to gain access to the East Side stadium.