WCU will hold two, helmet-only practices Friday and Saturday to open the 2014 preseason.
July 30, 2014
Cullowhee, N.C. -
Western Carolina's football student-athletes report for fall camp on Thursday as preparations for the 2014 season ramp up ahead of Friday's opening practice session.
Many of the returning and incoming football student-athletes are wrapping up the second semester of summer school. In-and-around classes, the bulk of the first day will be spent moving into residence halls, meeting with Mike Taylor and the equipment staff, as well as Brandon King and members of WCU's Sports Medicine staff.
WCU's preseason schedule features 20 practices, each featuring scrimmage sessions pitting the offensive unit against the defense. WCU's preseason docket also has a trio of practices solely dedicated to intrasquad scrimmages: Saturday, Aug. 9 at 3:45 pm; Wednesday, Aug. 13 at 4:30 pm; and Saturday, Aug. 16 at 10:30 am.
All of WCU's preseason football practices are open to the public. It is respectfully requested that spectators observe from the stadium seating area and avoid being either on the field or the sidelines for safety.
Fans can keep track of preseason activities through the Catamount Athletics social media outlets on Facebook (fb.com/catamountsports) and Twitter (@catamounts), as well as video updates on the department's YouTube channel (CatamountSports). CatamountSports.com will be updated following Friday's first practice session of the fall which is scheduled to begin at 5:40 pm in helmets-only at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field.
2014 Catamount Football - Opening Week of Fall Practice:
Important Upcoming Dates to Remember:
Tues., August 5
Fri., August 1: Practice #1 - 5:40 pm (helmets only)
Sat., August 2: Practice #2 - 2:30 pm (helmets only)
Sun., August 3: Practice #3 - 2:00 pm (shells)
Mon., August 4: Practice #4 - 4:00 pm (shells)
Tues., August 5: Practice #5 - 10:00 am (full pads)
Wed., August 6: Practice #6 - 10:00 am (full pads); Practice #7 - 5:25 pm (shells)
Thurs., August 7: Practice #8 - 2:00 pm (full pads)
* Practice times are subject to change
- First scheduled football practice in full pads
Wed., August 6
- First scheduled two-a-day practice sessions
Sat., August 9
- Catamount football Intrasquad scrimmage (3:45 pm)
Sat., August 9
- Catamount Tailgate Kickoff (Catamount Club members)
Wed., August 13
- Catamount football intrasquad scrimmage (4:30 pm)
Wed., August 13
- Catamount women's soccer vs. Winthrop (exhibition) (6:00 pm)
Fri., August 15
- Catamount women's soccer vs. UNC Asheville (exhibition) (7:00 pm)
Sat., August 16
- Catamount football Intrasquad scrimmage (10:30 am)
Mon., August 18
- First day of fall classes at WCU
Fri., August 22
- Catamount women's soccer vs. Eastern Kentucky (2014 home opener), 7 pm
Sun., August 24
- Catamount women's soccer vs. East Carolina, 2:00 pm
Mon., August 25
- Catamount Football single-game tickets go on sale
Fri., August 29
- Catamount cross country hosts the Western Carolina Invitational, 6:30 pm
Sat., August 30
- 2014 Catamount Football season opener at USF in Tampa, Fla.
Fri., Sept. 5
- 10th Annual Bob Waters Memorial golf tournament; Maggie Valley Club, Maggie Valley, N.C.
Sat., Sept. 6
- 2014 Catamount Football home opener vs. Brevard in Cullowhee
Fri., Sept. 26
- The Upstate Classic golf tournament; The Preserve at Verdae in Greenville, S.C.