Nov. 23, 2013
Appalachian State 48, Western Carolina 27
Kidd Brewer Stadium (27,115)
Boone, N.C. - Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina finishes the 2013 season with a 2-10 overall record, 1-7 in Southern Conference play ... the Catamounts finish the year on a three-game slide;
- The Catamounts suffered their ninth-straight loss in the head-to-head series with Appalachian State ... WCU remains winless in Boone since 1984, enduring their 15th-consecutive road defeat in Boone ... the Catamounts lost for the 27th time in the last 29 meetings with App State, falling to 18-59-1 in the series;
- WCU's road losing skid increased to 21-straight games dating back to the 2010 season.
- On Western Carolina's first offensive drive, freshman tight end Tyler Sexton - who made his second career start on Saturday ¬- caught his first pass on a 21-yard gain ... Sexton finished with four catches for a team-high 91 yards;
- Darius Ramsey put the Catamounts on the board with 4:36 to play in the first half, scoring on a 25-yard swing pass from quarterback Eddie Sullivan as the Catamounts took advantage of the game's first turnover - a punt that bounced off ASU's Joel Ross ... the TD reception was the FIRST in Ramsey's career;
- At the start of the third quarter, Appalachian State's Karl Anderson returned an interception 37 yards for a touchdown ... It was the second time this season a Catamount opponent returned a pick for six with the first one coming at Virginia Tech (Detrick Bonner, 37 yards);
- Karnorris Benson extended his consecutive games with a receiving touchdown to five-straight with a six-yard reception from Eddie Sullivan late in the third quarter ... It was the 12th receiving score for Benson in 2013, TYING the WCU single-season record ... Benson matched the record held by Eric Rasheed during the 1983 season ... Benson is also just TWO receiving TDs shy of becoming listed on WCU's career charts with 13 scores over the past two seasons;
- WCU rotated its two quarterbacks through much of the first half until sophomore Troy Mitchell suffered a hip pointer and missed the second half ... Redshirt junior QB Eddie Sullivan attempted a career-high 41 passes, completing 22 for 206 yards ... It was Sullivan's second 200-plus yard passing outing of the season and his FIRST multiple TD passing game of the year;
- Eddie Sullivan added his first rushing touchdown of the season, scoring from 14 yards out late in the fourth quarter ... Sullivan now has three career rushing touchdowns;
- Caleb Hawkins finished with a team-high two tackles for loss, his career-best in a single-game ... WCU finished with six tackles for loss against the Mountaineers.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: redshirt junior defensive back #28 Ace Clark; senior punter #38 Clark Sechrest; senior offensive lineman #52 Quevalas Murray; and senior offensive lineman #72 Vince Williams ... Western Carolina won the toss and elected to defer; Appalachian State received the opening kickoff.
- Appalachian State wore their alternate grey and black uniforms ... WCU wore white facemasks on its purple head gear ... Prior to the game on Saturday, ASU honored its senior class.