Nov. 19, 2011
Coastal Carolina 45, Western Carolina 21
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Nov. 19, 2011
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina dropped the first-ever meeting with the Chanticleers in the head-to-head series ... the two will play in Conway, S.C., in an upcoming season on the back-end of the home-and-home ... WCU fell to 32-18 all-time against teams from the Big South Conference;
- WCU was relegated to its ninth-straight loss to end the 2011 season ... the Catamounts' lone victory came over NCAA Division II playoff participant, Mars Hill ... It also represented the eighth-consecutive loss in a season finale for the Catamounts since 2003;
- Finishing the season at 1-10, the Catamounts were relegated to their second, one-win season in the past five years ... It was also the 10th, one-victory season since 1931 for Catamount football.
- Western Carolina's offense was without its top three receivers on Saturday as Deja Alexander (35 for 459), Jacoby Mitchell (26 for 388) and Josh Cockrell (25 for 379) were all sidelined ... Alexander missed the game due to a nagging ankle injury; Mitchell continues to nurse a shoulder injury suffered after his career-setting day against Wofford; and Cockrell has missed the last four games after suffering a knee injury against The Citadel;
- WCU scored 21 points against Coastal Carolina marking the eighth time this season the Catamounts put 20-or-more points on the board;
- Sophomore quarterback Brandon Pechloff tossed three touchdown passes on Saturday marking the second-time in his career - both this season - that he's connected on a trio of scoring strikes, matching his career-high ... the first came in a home loss to Elon this year ... Pechloff has tossed two-or-more passing touchdowns in a single game now six times in his WCU career;
- Sophomore Courtland Carson finished with a career-high 15 total tackles including three tackles for loss ... He was one of three Catamounts with double-figure tackles as Rock Williams added 13 tackles and a near interception while freshman Christon Gill finished with 10 stops for his second-consecutive game with double-digit tackles;
- Carson came away with his second interception on the season in the loss on Saturday ... He finished the year leading the team with two picks giving the Catamounts five interceptions collectively on the year;
- Junior running back Michael Vaughn hauled in a career-long pass of 45 yards, making the catch between two Chanticleer defenders in coverage;
- Senior punter Blake Cain concludes his Catamount career with a school-record 262 punts ... He went toe-to-toe with his younger brother, Austin Cain, during Saturday's game in Cullowhee ... Austin punted three times for 94 yards (31.3) including a long of 37 and one downed inside the 20 ... Blake kicked eight times for 290 yards (36.2) and a long of 47;
- Western Carolina honored 14 football seniors, one senior media relations student assistant, two athletic equipment student workers and three senior cheerleaders prior to Saturday's game ... At halftime, a combined 54 senior members of the "Pride of the Mountains"
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were members of its senior class; linebacker #34 Ricky Schwarz; defensive back #46 Brett Allen; punter #48 Blake Cain; defensive lineman #55 Walt Woolwine; tight end #85 Andrew Rogers; tight end #86 Taylor Spangler; and defensive lineman#98 Trey Selby;
- Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to defer to the second half;
- The widow of the former WCU head coaching great, Bob Waters - Sheri - and her family took part in the pre-game coin toss as WCU welcomed back football alum for the first reunion weekend.