Nov. 16, 2013
Furman 32, Western Carolina 20
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Saturday, November 16, 2013
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina suffered its eighth-straight loss to the Furman Paladins in the all-time, head-to-head series including the fourth-straight defeat in games played in Cullowhee;
- WCU finished the 2013 season with a 2-3 record in home games.
- Sophomore running back Darius Ramsey collected his third 100-yard rushing game of the season ... Ramsey finished with 116 yards on 14 carries and one touchdown ... It was his fourth rushing touchdown of the year came in second quarter ... Ramsey has six career rushing touchdowns and five career 100-yard rushing games ... Ramsey finished with 124 all-purpose yards;
- Furman's placekicker, Ray Early, kicked four field goals in the first half ... It was the first time since Nov. 12, 2011 that an opponent hit four or more field goals in a game against WCU when Drew Stewart from Appalachian Sta>te hit six in the game;
- Early finished with six field goals setting the Furman school record ... He also matched the E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field record held by former Catamount Josh Jones who kicked six field goals against Samford in 1999 ... Early connected on kicks of 48, 24, 40, 39, 30 and 32 yards, missing from 39 yards out just before halftime.
- John's Sullivan's 14-yard catch and run on WCU's second drive of the first quarter was a career-long by the sophomore receiver ... Sullivan finished with a career-high three catches for a career-best 41 yards;
- Freshman linebacker Tyson Dickson recorded his career first tackle for loss in the first quarter ... Dickson flew through the line of scrimmage and hit Furman's quarterback and ball carrier Reese Hannon on an option play;
- Another freshman receiver, Terryon Robinson, led the Catamounts with a career-high six receptions for 58 yards;
- WCU's Karnorris Benson caught a 55-yard TD pass from Eddie Sullivan in the third quarter... It was his fourth-straight game with a touchdown reception and the 11th TD catch on the year, tying him for second on WCU's single-season chart ... Benson is tied with Gerald Harp, who had 11 TD receptions in 1979 ... Benson is just one touchdown shy of matching WCU's single-season record of 12 held by Eric Rasheed in 1983;
- Benson's first catch of two was the touchdown reception ... He has caught a pass in 18 of the 19 games he played in his Catamount career;
- Redshirt freshman C.J. Goodman's 34-yard catch from Sullivan was a career-long reception;
- Junior quarterback Eddie Sullivan scampered for a career-long 29 yards on 3rd and 30 midway through the fourth quarter ... Sullivan came up inches short of the marker, but WCU converted on a Darius Ramsey rush on fourth down;
- Sophomore Jaleel Lorquet had a career-high nine tackles, five solo and four tackle assists ... Lorquet also finished with 1.5 tackles for lost - another career mark;
- Freshman linebacker Bryson Jordan recorded a career-high eight tackles on Saturday including three solo stops and eight assists.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: redshirt junior defensive back #28 Ace Clark; senior punter #38 Clark Sechrest; senior offensive lineman #52 Quevalas Murray; and senior offensive lineman #72 Vince Williams ... WCU won the opening toss and elected to receive;
- Prior to Saturday's game, WCU honored 13 football players making their final appearance at Whitmire Stadium / Waters Field;
- In between the first and second quarter WCU honored its four Southern Conference Championship teams from the 2012-13 season -- women's indoor track and field, men's and women's outdoor track and field teams and baseball;
- At halftime, Western Carolina commemorated the anniversary season of its 1983 team and its run to the NCAA Division I-AA national title game ... Team members and coaches took part in a special reunion and tailgate Saturday afternoon.