Nov. 10, 2013
Final Stats |
Georgia Southern 35, Western Carolina 19
Statesboro, Ga. - Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina suffered its 19th-straight defeat against Georgia Southern in the all-time head-to-head series ... the Catamounts trail in the series, 2-22 ... It also kept WCU winless in games played in Statesboro, falling to 0-12;
- The Catamounts were handed their 20th-consecutive road loss ... WCU's current road slide is the third-longest active streak at the NCAA FCS level and fourth in all of NCAA Division I football ... Only Idaho State (L-43) and Austin Peay (L-23) have longer road winless droughts at the NCAA FCS level while Kansas (L-23) is tied for second with Austin Peay at the Division I level;
- WCU was denied back-to-back wins ... the Catamounts have not won two-consecutive games since opening the 2006 season with two-straight victories over Chowan and No. 19 Eastern Kentucky in Cullowhee;
- WCU slipped to 4-10 since 2000 in games played following a bye week, taking its fifth-straight loss in the first game after being idle.
- Georgia Southern mustered 371 yards of total offense on Saturday including 345 yards on the ground ... It is the third-fewest yards by a WCU opponent this season ... It is also just the second-time since 2000 that WCU held the Eagles under 400 yards of total offense with the 371 yards representing the fewest allowed to GSU;
- Catamount offensive lineman Jake Thornton returned to the field after missing the Elon game with a knee injury ... Thornton, who started the first eight games of the season at center, returned to his starting role in the middle of the WCU offensive line;
- Freshman tailback Garry Lewis rushed for his second career touchdown, putting WCU on the board in the first quarter;
- WCU long-snapper Chandler Addertion forced his first career fumble that led to a Catamount offensive touchdown ... All told, WCU forced Georgia Southern into five fumbles, taking four away ... This season, the Catamounts have forced opponents into 14 fumbles, taking away 13;
- Damian Whitaker recovered his second fumble of the season while seniors Ben Watkins and Courtland Carson, as well as junior Christon Gill each tallied their first fumble recoveries of the year;
- With his third quarter touchdown reception, WCU's Karnorris Benson has recorded TDs in the past three games ... Benson has 10 touchdown catches in 2013 to rank tied for third in WCU's single-season record books, matching former Catamount Gerald Harp who had 10 TD catches in 1978 ... Benson has 11 career touchdown receptions over the past two seasons, four shy of tying for seventh all-time in program history;
- Benson has 746 receiving yards in 2013 ... It is just the third time since 2000 that a Catamount receiver has surpassed 700 receiving yards in a season ... Benson has the most receiving yards for a WCU wide out since Eddie Cohen had 1,208 back in 2007 ... His 44 seasonal catches are the most for a Catamount since Marquel Pittman had 50 in 2009;
- Quarterback Eddie Sullivan tossed his second touchdown pass of the season, coming in consecutive games ... His fourth-quarter scoring strike went to his brother, John Sullivan, on an 11-yard play ... the receiving touchdown was the first of the season - and WCU career - for John.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: redshirt junior defensive back #28 Ace Clark; senior punter #38 Clark Sechrest; senior offensive lineman #52 Quevalas Murray; and senior offensive lineman #72 Vince Williams ... Georgia Southern won the toss and elected to defer; WCU received the opening kickoff.
- Georgia Southern wore throwback uniforms reminiscent of those worn during the 1930s and 1940s at then Georgia Teachers College ... Prior to Saturday, the last season that GSU had worn the particular look of uniforms was against Western Carolina in 1941 - a 14-7 WCU victory in Cullowhee.