Nov. 5, 2011
#9 Wofford 42, Western Carolina 24
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Nov. 5, 2011
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina has now lost 13-straight games in Southern Conference play - the longest such drought since going winless in 20-straight league games from the end 2005 until Nov. 1, 2008;
-The Catamounts dropped their sixth-straight loss to Wofford in the all-time, head-to-head series.
- WCU senior punter Blake Cain broke the school record for punts in a career against Wofford, finishing with four kicks on the day for 246 punts in his career ... Cain broke the school record at the 8:35 mark of the second quarter with a season-long tying 53-yard boot;
- WCU sophomore placekicker Clark Sechrest connected on a career-long, 51-yard field goal to end the second quarter ... It was his fourth field goal of the season and second in the past two games;
- Junior wide receiver Jacoby Mitchell finished with a career-high 144 yards receiving against Wofford... His two touchdown receptions against the Terriers matched his single-game career high ... the last time Mitchell had two touchdowns in a game was against Chattanooga during the 2010 season;
- For the second straight week, redshirt junior Gary Green has found his way to the end zone ... Green hauled in a 13-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Zac Brindise in the fourth quarter, one of his career-high seven receptions in the game ... Last week, Green had a 29-yard touchdown reception against Samford;
- Senior quarterback Zac Brindise, who made his third-consecutive start in the Pistol offense, threw a season-high three touchdowns against Wofford matching his seasonal total through his first seven appearances on the year ... His 251 yards passing was also a season-high - and the third-most in his WCU career ... Brindise started the game 9-of-16, but finished a perfect 14-of-14 in the second half including 10-of-10 for 101 yards and two scores in the fourth quarter alone;
- Wofford's 500 yards rushing is the second-most allowed on the ground by the Catamounts in a single game this season ... the Terriers put two players over the 100-yard rushing mark ... WCU gave up a season-high 634 yards against Georgia Southern on September 24;
- Trey Selby recorded four tackles including one for loss while also forcing and recovering a fumble to give him a team-high three this year ... Rainey Ala also recovered his second fumble of the season.
- On WCU Hall of Fame Day, Western Carolina had former two-sport standout and 1994 inductee into the Athletics Hall of Fame, Willie Carpenter take part in the pregame coin toss ... Former football All-America selection and fellow Hall of Famer Kirk Roach delivered the game ball;
- Between the first and second quarters, WCU recognized its four most recent inductees into the Athletics Hall of Fame; Todd Harkins
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were; junior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior wide receiver #14 Josh Cockrell; senior linebacker #34 Ricky Schwarz; senior punter #48 Blake Cain; senior tight end #85 Andrew Rogers; and senior defensive lineman#98 Trey Selby;
- Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff.