Nov. 3, 2012
Final Stats |
Chattanooga 45, Western Carolina 24
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina dropped its ninth-straight football game in 2012 since winning its season-opener ... it was also the fourth-straight defeat for the Catamounts to Chattanooga;
- WCU now trails in its history with Chattanooga 16-23 including 9-10 all-time in Cullowhee;
- Western Carolina was also relegated to its 22nd-straight loss in Southern Conference play, the program's longest winless drought in league play since joining the SoCon ... the Catamounts also finished winless in the SoCon for the second-straight year and for just the fourth time since joining the league in 1976 ... WCU also dropped 20-straight from the final game of 2005 through Nov. 1, 2008 ... the current skid is the third longest winless drought in Southern Conference history.
- Western Carolina led 14-7 after the first quarter ... It marks just the second time this season that the Catamounts have led after the opening period with the first coming at home against Samford (7-0, Sept. 22);
- After picking up 13 first downs in the first half against the Mocs' defense, the Western Carolina offense was held without a first down in the second half until the 11:40 mark of the fourth quarter when quarterback Troy Mitchell completed a six-yard pass to running back Darius Ramsey ... It proved to be the only first down of the second half for the Catamounts;
- Senior Elijer Martinez's first quarter interception return for a touchdown was the second INT of his career and first career touchdown ... The INT return for a score marked the fourth by WCU's defense this season, the first three coming on fumble recoveries and returns ... WCU has scores from Trevor Taylor (fumble recovery versus Mars Hill, Aug. 30), Eric Banford (fumble recovery for a TD at Wofford, Sept. 15) and Caleb Hawkins fumble recovery after a Sertonuse Harris sack vs. Samford (Sept. 22);
- Junior Clark Sechrest booted his fifth career field goal on a 36-yard kick in the in the second quarter, recording his first points of the 2012 season ... The Cornelius, N.C., native is 5-of-8 in his career;
- Sechrest also punted five times against Chattanooga, averaging a season-high 50.6 yards per kick with three punts in the second half over 50 yards (58, 54, 56) ... His 58-yard punt was a career-long;
- Freshman tailback Darius Ramsey scored his second rushing touchdown of the season giving WCU 22 touchdowns on the ground - the most for a Catamount football team since rushing for a school-record 25 TDs in 2001 ... It is the 13th-time since 1967 that WCU has 20-or-more rushing scores in a season;
- Senior Rock Williams finished with six tackles on Saturday afternoon, giving him a team-leading 105 on the season and 316 for his collegiate career ... Williams moved into seventh place on WCU's all-time career tackles chart, by-passing now ninth-place Louis Cooper (312, 1981-84) and Everett Spellman (314, 1984-87);
- Redshirt sophomore DB Ace Clark led the Catamounts with a career-high 20 tackles against the Mocs ... True freshman CB Jaleel Lorquet made his second career interception, tying Clark with the team lead with two picks on the season ... WCU has five INTs as a team on the season, matching its total from a season ago ... All told, the Catamounts have 15 takeaways on the season;
- Senior DL Nick Woodard came up with his first career quarterback sack against Chattanooga ... WCU's defense has a combined 12 sacks on the season.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney ... Chattanooga won the opening coin toss and elected to defer to the second half ... WCU received the opening kickoff;
- In celebrating WCU's Faculty & Staff Appreciation Day on Saturday, Western Carolina's honorary captains before the game were Dr. A.J. Grube, WCU's Faculty Athletic Representative, and Dr. Mary Jean Herzog, chair the faculty senate ... the two participated in the pregame coin toss;
- Also prior to the game, WCU held a moment of silence for faculty member, Dr. Janice Holt, who passed away unexpectedly this past week;
- Prior to Saturday's game, Western Carolina honored the senior members of its football team playing in their final home game: #1 Elijer Martinez, DB; #4 Jacoby Mitchell, WR; #5 Michael Johnson, RB; #6 Mike Anderson, DB; #25 Michael Vaughn, RB; #32 Nathaniel Sedergren, LB; #45 Nick Woodard, DL; #49 Leo Gamez, K; #51 Rock Williams, LB; #65 Teddy Rhoney, OL; #78 Ryan Moore, OL; #85 Conner Orr, TE; #88 Nate Stephenson, TE; #90 Rainey Ala, DL; #95 Bevans Robbs, DL; #96 Eric Banford, DL ... WCU also recognized its three senior support staff students; Jonathan Arrowood, Edixon Pino-Alvarez and Nathaniel Touchberry;
- During halftime of Saturday's game, Western Carolina honored its three newest inductees into its Athletics Hall of Fame - Bill Stanley (Football, 1964-69), Eric Johnson (Football & Baseball, 1995-99) and Laura Tieszen Kamarainen (Women's Track & Field, 2002-05).