Oct. 29, 2011
Samford 52, Western Carolina 24
Birmingham, Ala. - Oct. 29, 2011
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina has dropped six-straight games on the season and has lost eight-straight to the Samford Bulldogs in the all-time, head-to-head series;
- WCU was relegated to 12-straight losses in Southern Conference play - the longest such drought since going winless in 20-consecutive in league play from the last game of 2005 until Nov. 1, 2008.
- Western Carolina finished Saturday's game with 368 yards of total offense, its strongest offensive output since Sept. 24 when it finished with 380 yards of total offense at top-ranked Georgia Southern;
- Brandon Vaught forced his second fumble of the season to match classmate Jideofo Okwudiri for the team-lead this season with two ... Freshman Christon Gill scooped up the loose football, returning it ... It was his second fumble recovery of the year;
- Following the game's first turnover, Western Carolina knotted the game with its third, one-play scoring drive the past three weeks ... WCU recorded one-play scoring drives at Chattanooga (one-yard Michael Vaughn run) and vs. The Citadel (61-yard pass from Brindise ... Zac Brindise found George Richardson on a 20-yard pitch-and-catch, the first receiving touchdown in Richadson's career at WCU;
- Trailing 14-7, Brindise had a pass intended for tight end Andrew Rogers sail on him where it was intercepted by Samford's Alvin Hines who returned it 33 yards for a touchdown ... It was the second-time this season a WCU opponent has returned a pick for a TD with the first coming at Chattanooga as D.J. Key returned an INT 85 yards for a score;
- WCU rushed for more yards in the first quarter - 90 - on Saturday than it did in four quarters last week at home against The Citadel - 61 ... WCU and Samford combined for 31 first-quarter points;
- In the first half alone, Saturday's game saw an interception return, fumble return and a kickoff returned for touchdowns;
- Rock Williams became the third different WCU linebacker to intercept a pass for the Catamounts this season when he picked off Bulldog QB Dustin Taliferro ... Williams returned it to the one-yard line where he fumbled, but Vaught picked up the loose football and scored ... the fumble return for a TD was the first for the Catamounts since Randy Pressley intercepted a pitch - technically a fumble - at Wofford last season and returned it 51 yards for points ... Williams joins Marcus Stokes and Courtland Carson as linebackers with interceptions;
- WCU senior punter Blake Cain was injured in the second quarter after his third punt of the day ... Cain now has 242 career punts, two shy of breaking the WCU school for career punts held by Steve Kornegay (1982-85) with 244 ... Clark Sechrest stepped in and punted the remainder of the game for the Catamounts, finishing with a career-best 180 punting yards on a career-high five kicks with a career-long of 45;
- Redshirt junior Gary Green hauled in his first career receiving touchdown, a 29-yard strike from Brindise late in the third quarter ... Green finished with a career-high 74 yards receiving to lead WCU.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were; junior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior defensive back #10 Chris Everett; redshirt senior defensive back #21 Jideofo Okwudiri; senior linebacker #34 Ricky Schwarz; senior defensive back #46 Brett Allen; senior punter #48 Blake Cain; senior offensive lineman #55 Walt Woolwine; senior tight end #85 Andrew Rogers; and senior defensive lineman#98 Trey Selby;
- Republican Presidential hopeful Herman Cain was on Samford's campus on Saturday and took part in the pre-game coin toss ... Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff;
- Western Carolina wore white jerseys over white pants for the second-time on the road this season ... the Catamounts fell to 0-2 this year and 1-5 all-time under current head coach Dennis Wagner in the mono-chromatic uniform color scheme.