Oct. 20, 2012
Elon 42, Western Carolina 31
Elon, N.C. - Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina was relegated to its 20th-straight loss in Southern Conference play, matching the program's longest winless drought in league play since joining the SoCon ... WCU also dropped 20-straight from the final game of 2005 through Nov. 1, 2008, snapping the skid at home with a win over Chattanooga;
- WCU lost its 13th-straight road game dating back to the 2010 season;
- The Catamounts have lost eight-straight games to the Phoenix including the fourth-straight road loss in the series;
- WCU has dropped six-straight games since winning its season opener against Mars Hill.
- Western Carolina true freshman defensive back Jaleel Loquet came up with his first career interception, thwarting what would have been a third-consecutive scoring drive to open the game by the Elon Phoenix ... Lorquet ran through a Thomas Wilson pass in the end zone for the takeaway;
- On his first kickoff return of the season, senior Elijer Martinez uncorked the second-longest kickoff return of the season for Western Carolina, bringing the ball off his own goal line 36 yards ... It was the first kickoff return in the career of Martinez, who finished with two kickoff returns for 56 yards;
- Also in the line of season highs in the return game, junior Deja Alexander returned an Elon punt 21 yards, the longest by a Catamount this season;
- Late in the second quarter, WCU senior running back Michael Johnson put the Catamounts on the board with his third rushing touchdown of the season ... Following WCU's second takeaway of the game, Johnson found the end zone for a second time around the left edge to pull WCU back within 12 points, 35-23 ... It was Johnson's fourth, two-touchdown game of his career and the second this season ... Johnson now has 15 career rushing touchdowns, adding a two-point conversion with the "full house backfield" of Teddy Rhoney and defensive lineman, Eric Banford;
- Just before halftime, true freshman quarterback Troy Mitchell tossed his first career touchdown pass, scrambling before finding senior Jacoby Mitchell in the end zone for six points ... the TD pass came on his 66th collegiate career pass attempt ... Troy Mitchell added his second passing touchdown to classmate Spearman Robinson in the fourth quarter ... For Jacoby Mitchell, the TD catch was the 11th of his WCU career;
- Troy Mitchell finished with a career-high of 175 yards passing, surpassing his previous high of 149 set in the season-opening start against Mars Hill ... the rookie added 78 yards rushing;
- WCU true freshman wide receiver Spearman Robinson matched a career-high with nine receptions for a career-best 139 yards and his first career receiving touchdown, hauling in a Troy Mitchell pass in the fourth quarter ... Robinson's nine receptions matched his career-high set earlier this season at Wofford;
- Elon's 35 first half points matched the most by a Catamount opponent on the season ... Wofford also had 35 points at intermission, scoring 28-straight points in the second quarter of a 49-20 win in Spartanburg, S.C., back on Sept. 15;
- Defensive back Trevor Taylor forced a fumble early in the third quarter that Martinez scooped and returned it into the red zone setting up WCU's second score of the quarter ... With three forced fumbles, Taylor is tied with teammates Rock Williams and Sertonuse Harris for the team lead.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney ... Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and deferred to the second half ... Elon received the opening kickoff.