Oct. 13, 2012
The Citadel 45, Western Carolina 31
Johnson Hagood Stadium
Charleston, S.C. - Saturday, Oct. 3, 2012
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina suffered its second-straight defeat to The Citadel in the head-to-head series, falling to 15-21-1 all-time ... WCU dropped to 5-12 all-time against The Citadel in Charleston;
- WCU dropped its sixth-straight game in 2012 since winning its opener over Mars Hill back on Aug. 30 ... It was also the team's 12th-straight road loss dating back to 2010;
- The Catamounts were relegated to their 19th-straight loss in Southern Conference play - the longest such drought since going winless in 20-straight in league play from the last game of2005 until Nov. 1, 2008.
- Western Carolina true freshman quarterback Troy Mitchell earned his second start of the season - and of his career - on Saturday afternoon at The Citadel ... It was the second-straight road trip at The Citadel where a TRUE freshman started at QB for WCU - in 2010, redshirt freshman Brandon Pechloff guided the Catamounts to a road victory at The Citadel;
- Western Carolina drove for a touchdown on its first series ... It was the just the third time this season the Catamount offense had scored on its first possession and just the second touchdown with the first coming in the season-opening drive against Mars Hill;
- Senior running back Michael Vaughn and freshman quarterback Troy Mitchell both scored their fifth career rushing touchdowns in the first half against The Citadel ... Vaughn added his sixth career rushing score with a 24-yard romp midway through the third quarter while Mitchell added his sixth TD run on a five-yard scamper late in the fourth quarter;
- Freshman Darius Ramsey returned to the lineup on Saturday afternoon, rushing for 118 yards, his second 100-yard rushing performance of the season and just two yards shy of the best of his WCU career ... Ramsey finished with 125 all-purpose yards, adding one catch for seven yards out of the backfield;
- Troy Mitchell rushed for a career-high 117 yards and two scores giving WCU two 100-yard rushers at The Citadel ... It is the first time a pair of Catamount backs eclipsed the century mark rushing in the same game since Shaun Warren (203) and Michael Vaughn (104) both went for over 100 yards against Mars Hill in the 2011 season;
- Senior linebacker Rock Williams finished with a career-high 24 tackles including 17 solo stops to lead the Catamount defensive attack on Saturday afternoon ... Williams also ripped the ball out of the arm of Bulldog quarterback Ben Dupree for the lone takeaway of the game - WCU cashed the turnover into six points and a 24-17 lead in the third quarter;
- Junior punter Clark Sechrest recorded a career-long boot of 56 yards at The Citadel ... Sechrest punted just twice for an average of 44.5 yards.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney ... Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and deferred to the second half ... The Citadel received the opening kickoff.