Oct. 12, 2013
Auburn 62, Western Carolina 3
Auburn, Ala. - Saturday, October 12, 2013
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina dropped its 32nd-straight games against NCAA Division I teams, while also seeing its consecutive road losing skid reach 19 games ... It was WCU's third-straight seasonal loss;
- The Catamounts remained winless against Auburn all-time, dropping their third game against the Tigers in a series that dates back to 1986;
- Auburn represented the third NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision team the Catamounts have played in 2013 ... The Catamounts opened the season at Middle Tennessee before facing Virginia Tech in the second week;
- Auburn's 62 points matched the most given up by Western Carolina to a Southeastern Conference (SEC) foe since 2006 when Florida also scored 62 in a shutout win over the Catamounts in Gainesville ... It was only the fourth time since 2000 that a WCU team has allowed 60-or-more points to a NCAA FBS team (69 vs. Florida State in 2008; 63 vs. Georgia Tech in 2011; 62 vs. Florida in 2007);
- Troy Mitchell tossed his fourth interception in the past two games midway through the second quarter on Saturday afternoon ... Mitchell was stellar through his first 105 pass attempts this season, committing just two turnovers ... However, in his last 28 pass attempts - dating back to the Chattanooga game and his first six attempts on Saturday at Auburn - Mitchell has thrown four picks;
- Auburn's 42 points in the first half on Saturday were the most against the Catamounts this season since Middle Tennessee tallied 31 in the opening half of the season back on Aug. 29;
- WCU used two quarterbacks on Saturday as both Troy Mitchell, who started, and Eddie Sullivan saw action ... Mitchell led five drives - all in the first half - while Sullivan had seven drives including two in the first half and five in the second;
- Catamount quarterback Eddie Sullivan recorded his longest pass of the season on a 35-yard, catch-and-run to Karnorris Benson midway through the third quarter ... His previous season-long was a 28 yarder as a part of his 4-for-4 showing on a scoring drive at Samford.
Career Numbers Update:
- WCU kicker Richard Sigmon nailed a career-long, 49-yard field goal to put the Catamounts on the board with 3:51 remaining in the first quarter;
- True freshman corner Fred Payne came away with his first career interception midway through the second quarter ... It was the first of two stops for the Catamount defense against Auburn's offense;
- Catamount long-snapper Chandler Addertion made a career-high two stops on Tiger punt returns, containing and corralling the return man on both solo stops.
- Late in the fourth quarter, junior multi-purpose back Garrett Brown had a career-long 14-yard run ... His previous high was an 11 yarder at Furman in 2012 ... Brown's three carries in the fourth quarter were also a career-high for rushing attempts in a single game.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: redshirt junior defensive back #28 Ace Clark; senior punter #38 Clark Sechrest; senior offensive lineman #52 Quevalas Murray; and senior offensive lineman #72 Vince Williams ... Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and deferred to the second half; Auburn received the opening kickoff.
- Saturday afternoon's game was televised as a part of the ESPN Game Plan and was also available online on ESPN3.