Wofford 31, Western Carolina 19
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina dropped its third-straight game of the season – and suffered its second-consecutive home defeat after recording seven-straight home victories;
- Halts Western Carolina’s two-game win streak in the series against Wofford, while also pulling the squads even in the all-time series in games held in Cullowhee (10-10);
- Marks back-to-back home losses for the Catamounts for the first time since the 2012 season that included a home loss to then No. 15 Appalachian State (38-27) and Chattanooga (45-24).
- Redshirt junior Terryon Robinson tied the school record for receptions in a single-game for the second time in his career, recording 15 against Wofford … Robinson also had 15 receptions in his sophomore campaign when he pulled down 15 at University of South Florida … Robinson shares the record with Eric Rasheed, who had 15 catches against Chattanooga back in 1984;
- Robinson finished Saturday night’s game with a game-high – and also his season-high – with 99 receiving yards;
- Robinson scored both Catamount touchdowns in the game against Wofford representing a career-best … He now has six career receiving scores including a single-season best three in 2016;
- Following Saturday night’s game, Terryon Robinson has 137 career catches, 13th in school-history … Robinson by-passed former Catamount receiver Marquel Pittman (135, 2007-10) and is just one shy of matching former receiving great Kerry Hayes (138, 1991-94) for 12th on the school list;
- Western Carolina scored on its opening possession for just the second time this season as Terryon Robinson capped a 10-play, 75-yard drive with an 11-yard reception from Tyrie Adams … Adams hooked-up with Spearman Robinson for a would-be 51-yard scoring strike on the same drive, but had it called back due to a penalty … WCU’s only other game-opening scoring drive came at home against Gardner-Webb, capped by a 52-yard Detrez Newsome run;
- Junior tailback Detrez Newsome amassed 159 all-purpose yards, extending his active streak of 100-or-more all-purpose yards to eight-straight games dating back to last season … However, Newsome did see his consecutive touchdown streak halted at five-straight games, failing to reach the end zone for the first time this season;
- Redshirt freshman WR Brad Swan Jr. made the first receptions of his collegiate career, finishing with a career-best four grabs for 43 yards;
- Senior linebacker Tyson Dickson had a career-high 18 tackles against Wofford besting his previous career best of 17 set against The Citadel a week ago;
- Western Carolina and Wofford each had 19 first downs and each looked at unbalanced attacks on the ground and in the air … WCU had just 46 yards rushing while Wofford’s ground attack chewed up 322 yards … In contrast Wofford had just 38 passing yards while the Catamounts went in the air for 285 yards … Total offense was 360 for Wofford and 331 for WCU;
- Redshirt freshman quarterback Tyrie Adams had 285 yards passing against Wofford pushing his yearly total to 1,312 yards;
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday evenings game were: senior DB #3 Fred Payne; junior RB #21 Detrez Newsome; redshirt junior linebacker #58 Daniel Riddle; and senior OL #62 Ethan James, though he did not play due to a foot injury … Redshirt freshman QB #12 Tyrie Adams carried the American Flag during Saturday’s pregame, while junior DT #97 Ezavian Dunn carried the “All You Got” flag ... Wofford won the coin toss and deferred; WCU received the opening kickoff.