Oct. 8, 2011
Final Stats |
Elon 38, Western Carolina 31
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Sat., Oct. 8, 2011
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina drops its ninth straight game in Southern Conference play - the longest drought since going winless in 20-straight league games from the last game of 2005 until Nov. 1, 2008 - while keeping the squad winless in league play this season;
- The Catamounts suffered their sixth-straight loss to Elon dating back to 2005, and the third straight loss to the Phoenix in Cullowhee after having won seven-straight all-time over Elon at Whitmire Stadium.
- One week after setting his career-high with two receiving touchdowns against Furman, redshirt senior Josh Cockrell scored a career-high three touchdowns against Elon including matching his career-best with two receiving TDs of 61 and 66 yards ... Cockrell also scored the first rushing touchdown of his career, a 10-yard scamper on a reverse in the first quarter ... Overall, Cockrell caught two passes for a career-best 127 yards and rushed once for 10 yards, scoring every time the elusive receiver touched the ball;
- Cockrell's 100-yard game gives WCU four, 100-yard receivers this season ... It is the second-consecutive 100-yard week for Cockrell with Deja Alexander (143 at Georgia Southern) and Jacoby Mitchell (105 yards vs. Mars Hill) also posting 100-yard receiving games this season;
- The three touchdown passes by sophomore quarterback Brandon Pechloff were a career-high, surpassing his previous career-high of two touchdowns in a game which he did once this season against Furman and once against The Citadel a year ago;
- Redshirt senior Taylor Spangler scored the second touchdown of his career off a five-yard pass from Brandon Pechloff ... Spangler scored the first touchdown of his career, ironically, in 2010 also against Elon;
- Western Carolina's defense came away with its first two interceptions of the year ... Junior linebacker Marcus Stokes made his first career interception, snagging a deflected ball to stop an Elon drive ... Another linebacker, Courtland Carson, gave WCU its second pick of the game - and the season - as again the WCU defensive front caused pressure for Carson to pick-off Elon QB Thomas Wilson;
- Junior linebacker Rock Williams had a career-high 19 tackles against Elon;
- Saturday should have seen two pass-happy squads do battle as the SoCon's top two passing offenses squared off. However, both sides seemed set on rushing the football, pounding the ground attack much of the game. WCU, which came into the game second in passing yards per outing, finished with 231 yards through the air while Elon posted 207 passing yards with 153 rushing yards on a season-high 43 carries.
- Team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were; junior running back Michael Johnson; senior wide receiver Josh Cockrell; senior linebacker Ricky Schwarz; senior punter Blake Cain; senior tight end Andrew Rogers; and senior defensive lineman Trey Selby;
- Elon won the opening coin toss and elected to defer to the second half ... WCU received the opening kickoff.