Oct. 5, 2013
Final Stats |
Chattanooga 42, Western Carolina 21
Finley Stadium / Davenport Field
Chattanooga, Tenn. - Saturday, October 5, 2013
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina dropped its 25th-straight Southern Conference game, matching the second-longest league winless drought -- Davidson's 25-game SoCon losing skid ... WCU has not won a conference game since 2010;
- WCU has also lost 31-straight games against NCAA Division I teams, while also seeing its consecutive road losing skid reach 18 games;
- The Catamounts dropped their fifth-straight game against Chattanooga, keeping WCU winless at UTC since 2008.
- Western Carolina freshman defensive back Fred Payne made his first career start at corner back ... Payne finished with four tackles including three solo stops and recovered a UTC fumble in the end zone;
- In the second quarter, WCU quarterback Troy Mitchell was intercepted on consecutive pass attempts, representing his third and fourth interceptions of the season ... the first INT broke a string of 40-straight pass attempts without a turnover which dated back to The Citadel game ... the Mocs cashed in the takeaway on a 67-yard screen pass for a touchdown - UTC's longest play from scrimmage in 2013 - to pull ahead 14-0;
- After earning a defensive stop by recovering a Jacob Huesman fumble in the end zone, the Catamounts tossed their third interception of the first half as Eddie Sullivan was picked off by D.J. Key; the fumble was the seventh forced fumble and sixth fumble recovered by the Catamount defense on the season;
- WCU tossed four interceptions in the loss on Saturday night
Career Numbers Update:
- Tailback Garry Lewis recorded his first career rushing touchdown, capping a seven-play, 75-yard drive in the third quarter to put the Catamounts on the board ... Lewis was stopped after a modest gain, but keep the legs churning, spun out of a tackle and took it in from 12 yards out;
- True freshman wide receivers Willie Police
and Terryon Robinson
both recorded career-bests in receptions on Saturday evening ... Police set a career-high with six receptions, while Robinson caught five passes for a career-best 91 yards, adding his second career receiving score;
- Redshirt sophomore WR Karnorris Benson hauled in his sixth receiving touchdown in the fourth quarter ... Benson has TD catches in four of the six games this season;
- Redshirt freshman kicker Blake Metcalf made his WCU debut on a fourth quarter kickoff.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday evening's game were: redshirt junior defensive back #28 Ace Clark; senior punter #38 Clark Sechrest; senior offensive lineman #52 Quevalas Murray; and senior offensive lineman #72 Vince Williams...Western Carolina won the coin toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff.
- Saturday night's game was televised by My40 WMYA-TV out of Asheville/Greenville.