Oct. 1, 2011
Furman 47, Western Carolina 21
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field - Cullowhee, N.C.
Sat., Oct. 1, 2011
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina has dropped eight-straight games against Southern Conference opponents dating back to last season;
- Western Carolina has also lost six straight Southern Conference home openers since last upsetting Furman in 2005 ... WCU fell to 18-17 all-time in first home conference games since joining the league;
- The Catamounts have dropped six-straight in the head-to-head series with Furman dating back to the `05 season, and three-straight to the Paladins in Cullowhee.
- Redshirt sophomore returned the opening kickoff of the second half George Richardson 99 yards for a touchdown to start the third quarter ... It marks the longest of his return career for the Kernersville, N.C. native and his first special teams TD ... It also marked the first kick-off return for a touchdown by a Catamount since 2007 when Mike Malone took a kickoff 71-yards for a score also coming against Furman in Cullowhee;
- George Richardson ended the game with a career-best 183 yards in kick-off return yards ... He averaged 45.8 yards.
- Redshirt senior Josh Cockrell hauled in a career-high eight passes for a career-best 118 yards, scoring two touchdowns to complete the trifecta of career numbers for the Canton, N.C. ,native;
- Cockrell became the third different Catamount wide receiver to go over the 100-yard receiving mark this year, joining Jacoby Mitchell (105 vs. Mars Hill) and Deja Alexander (143 yards at Georgia Southern);
- Brandon Pechloff's 237 yard passing against Furman is the second most by the sophomore quarterback this season;
- Freshman safety Christon Gill led the Catamount defense with a career-best 11 tackles including four solo stops against Furman.
- Team captains for Saturday night's game were junior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior wide receiver #14 Josh Cockrell; senior linebacker #34 Ricky Schwarz; senior punter #48 Blake Cain; senior tight end #85 Andrew Rogers and senior defensive lineman #98 Trey Selby;
- Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to defer to the second half.