Sept. 29, 2012
Furman 45, Western Carolina 24
Greenville, S.C. - Sept. 29, 2012
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina suffered its seventh-straight loss in the head-to-head series with Furman, falling to 10-28-2 ... It was also the ninth-straight road defeat in the series all-time;
- WCU dropped its fourth-straight game of the season and the 11th-straight game away from home dating back to the 2010 season;
- The Catamounts dropped their 17th-straight Southern Conference road game, the longest such drought since going winless in 20-straight in league play from the last game of 2005 until Nov. 1, 2008.
- Western Carolina bent but did not break on Furman's opening possession, cashing in a Furman fumble into the end zone with a 10-play, 74-yard drive, finishing with a 23-yard field goal to take the early 3-0 lead;
- However, on the ensuing kickoff, Furman's Jerodis Williams scored on a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown ... it was the first time a WCU opponent had returned a kickoff for a touchdown since Samford's Fabian Truss ran one back 82 yards for a score in Birmingham on Oct. 29, 2011 ... Williams' return was the sixth 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in Furman Paladin football history;
- WCU punter Clark Sechrest 50-plus yards including a career-long 55 yarder early in the second quarter ... Sechrest finished with a 40.9 yard per punt average, downing five of his seven punts inside the Furman 20 yard line;
- Senior Michael Vaughn recorded his first rushing touchdown of the season - and the third of his WCU career - on a second quarter, three-yard plunge to cap a 12-play scoring drive ... It was the first Catamount rushing touchdown since quarterback Troy Mitchell scrambled in from eight yards out early in the fourth quarter at Wofford back on Sept. 15;
- Vaughn finished with his first career two touchdown day, plunging in from a yard out midway through the fourth quarter to cap an eight-play, 52-yard scoring drive
- Senior tight end Nate Stephenson hauled in his second career touchdown pass, catching a 15-yard pass early in the fourth quarter ... For Stephenson, his second career TD catch came on just his third career reception, finishing the game with a career-high three catches for 34 yards;
- WCU used the versatile, two-sport athlete Garrett Brown in a variety of ways on Saturday afternoon ... Brown rushed twice for 20 yards, caught three passes for 39 yards and also completed a pass;
- Western Carolina outscored Furman 14-0 in the fourth quarter of Saturday afternoon's Southern Conference game.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney;
- Furman won the opening coin toss and elected to receive;
- Western Carolina wore its traditional home uniforms - purple jerseys over purple pants - while Furman wore it's typical road uniforms - white on white - during Saturday afternoon's game as a part of the FU Family Weekend "White Out";
- Coaches on both Western Carolina and Furman coaching staff's wore patches on their game shirts Saturday afternoon as a part of the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) "Coach to Cure MD" ... Please visit www.CoachtoCureMD.org or text CURE to 90999 to donate $5.