Sept. 24, 2011
Georgia Southern 52, Western Carolina 20
Paulson Stadium - Statesboro, Ga.
Sat., Sept. 24, 2011
With the loss ...
- Western Carolina remains winless against Georgia Southern in games played in Statesboro, Ga., dropping its 11th-straight road game in the series ... the loss was also WCU's 17th-consecutive in the all-time head-to-head series with the Eagles dating back to 1994;
- WCU has dropped seven-straight games in Southern Conference play dating back to last season;
- The Catamounts have dropped five-straight road loss and fourth-consecutive road defeat in SoCon play;
- WCU junior running back Michael Johnson made his season debut on the second offensive drive of the night for the Catamounts, carrying for WCU's first, first down on the night ... Johnson put the Catamounts on the board with a three-yard touchdown run at the 10:51 mark of the first quarter ... It was Johnson's first touchdown rush of this season ... It was just the second rushing TD allowed by Georgia Southern on the season;
- Johnson later added a two-yard touchdown plow into the end zone, capping a 59-yard drive for his second rushing score of the day and the 10th of his career ... It is the second-time this year that WCU has had a running back post a multiple-TD performance;
- Through three games this season, the Catamounts have rushed for 10 touchdowns on the ground, already surpassing 2010's total of seven ... Shaun Warren added his fifth rushing touchdown to lead four Catamounts with rushing scores on the season ... Warren (5), M. Johnson (2), G. Brown (1) Pechloff (1), Vaughn (1);
- Western Carolina rushed for 95 yards against the Eagles, the most yardage allowed by GSU's defense to an opponent on the ground this season;
- Redshirt sophomore return man George Richardson posted career long kickoff returns of 52 yards and later one of 60 yards in the first quarter of Saturday night's game at Georgia Southern;
- GSU's Jerick McKinnon raced into the end zone on a 75-yard TD run early in the second quarter for the Eagles ... In addition to representing the longest play from scrimmage for GSU on the season, it was also the fifth scoring play of over 50 yards that Western Carolina had surrendered on the year;
- Brandon Pechloff tossed his first interception of the season on a deflected ball midway through the third quarter ... Pechloff had gone 79 pass attempts this season including 17 at GSU this season without an interception ... he finished with two picks thrown on the night;
- Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Deja Alexander went over 100 yards receiving in the road loss at Georgia Southern, moving past the century mark on his seventh catch-and-run early in the third quarter ... It is his first 100-yard receiving game of the season and the third of his two-year WCU career ... Alexander is the second WCU receiver to eclipse the 100-yard receiving mark on the season as Jacoby Mitchell finished with 105 yards in the home win over Mars Hill;
- Georgia Southern had three rushers over 100-yards in the game - Youyoute (119), Wilcox (115) AND McKinnon (114) ... It is the second time in as many years that an opponent has had three go over the century mark on the ground ... Wofford had three running backs eclipse 100 yards rushing in last year's meeting in Spartanburg.
- Team captains for Saturday night's game were junior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior wide receiver #14 Josh Cockrell; senior linebacker #34 Ricky Schwarz; senior linebacker #40 Brandon Vaught; senior tight end #85 Andrew Rogers and senior defensive lineman #98 Trey Selby ... Georgia natives Trey Selby and Andrew Rogers went to midfield for the coin toss;
- Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff.
- Officially, 19,067 fans were in attendance at the WCU-GSU game on Saturday night;