Sept. 22, 2012
Final Stats |
Samford 25, Western Carolina 21
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Sept. 22, 2012
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina suffered its ninth-straight loss to Samford in the all-time, head-to-head series, and the fifth-straight home loss to the Bulldogs, remaining winless in the series;
- The Catamounts have dropped 16-consecutive games in Southern Conference play - the longest such streak since going winless in 20-straight league games from 2005 until Nov. 1, 2008.
- Western Carolina led 7-0 at halftime on Saturday afternoon ... It was the first time the Catamounts had led at the half in Southern Conference play since leading against Elon, 14-10, on Oct. 8, 2011;
- Saturday marked the first game this year where WCU did not score a rushing touchdown ... the Catamounts have eight rushing scores through the first four games on the season including four against Mars Hill, two at Marshall and two at Wofford;
- For the second straight game, Western Carolina's defense scored the team's first touchdown of the game ... Catamount freshman defensive lineman Caleb Hawkins recovered a fumble after Samford quarterback Andy Summerlin was sacked by freshman Sertonuse Harris in the end zone a mere 17 seconds into the game;
- Western Carolina's defense came up with a combined four quarterback sacks on Saturday, the most for a Catamount defensive unit in a single game since posting four in a road win at Gardner-Webb (Sept. 18, 2010) ... Harris (1.0), Hawkins (1.5), Rainey Ala (0.5), Keensen Chambers (0.5) and Rock Williams (0.5) were all credited with recording or assisting on sacks;
- After finishing 2011 with only nine quarterback sacks all season, the Catamount defense has posted seven sacks through the first four games of 2012;
- After missing last week's game at Wofford, senior linebacker Rock Williams was back in the line-up leading Western Carolina with 16 tackles, three off his career-high of 19 ... Williams also had half a sack ... Courtland Carson was credited with 13 tackles, also one shy of his career-best of 14 set at Marshall;
- With just the third catch of his Catamount career, senior tight end Conner Orr hauled in the first offensive touchdown of the game for WCU in the third quarter to give Western Carolina a 14-10 lead ... Orr caught a 14-yard strike from quarterback Eddie Sullivan;
- Senior wide receiver Jacoby Mitchell hauled in his second touchdown of the season on an eight-yard pass from Sullivan to give the Catamounts a 21-10 lead over Samford in the third quarter, capping an 11-play drive;
- Redshirt sophomore Ace Clark came up with his second career interception - both occurring this season ... Clark picked off an Andy Summerlin pass in the first half of Saturday's game;
- Samford put 15 unanswered points on the board in the fourth quarter;
- Western Carolina is now 18-18 overall, since joining the Southern Conference in league home openers.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney;
- Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to defer ... WCU kicked off to start the game.