ETSU 34, Western Carolina 31
Bristol Motor Speedway
Bristol, Tenn. - Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina saw the all-time head-to-head series with ETSU inch closer, 23-22-1 … the loss evened the all-time series in neutral field games at 1-1 – the only other neutral field game came back in 1950 in a game played in Waynesville;
- It marked WCU’s first loss to ETSU since 2002 – a 27-7 Bucs win in Cullowhee … Saturday was the first series meeting since 2003;
- The Catamounts dropped to 21-19 overall in Southern Conference openers, and just 8-16 when the SoCon-opener takes place on the road.
- Junior running back Detrez Newsome scored a career-best four touchdowns in Saturday’s road loss at ETSU – two rushing scores and a pair of receiving touchdowns … Newsome moved into a tie for ninth-place in school history with his 22nd career rushing score, matching David Mayfield (22, 1984-86);
- Newsome also holds the distinction of scoring the first-ever touchdown in FCS history at the Bristol Motor Speedway;
- Newsome now has 1,827 career rushing yards, just 233 yards shy of the 10th-place tie in program history between Melvin Dorsey (1981-83) and Anthony James (1979-82) who both rushed for 2,060 career yards;
- Newsome finished with a combined 172 all-purpose yards including 32 yards rushing, 86 receiving yards on four catches, and 54 yards on kickoff returns … It is his sixth-straight game of 100+ all-purpose yards dating back to last season and his 18th career game of eclipsing the century mark;
- Redshirt freshman QB Tyrie Adams continued to impress, tallying 380 yards of total offense including 343 passing and a team-high 37 yards on the ground … Adams has amassed 1,108 yards of total offense over his first three career games including a school single-game record 510 yards in the home win over Gardner-Webb … To put it into perspective, WCU’s all-time leader in career total offense – Troy Mitchell (2012-15) posted 1,295 yards of total offense as a freshman in 2012, just 187 more than Adams has through his first three games;
- Adams is averaging 369.3 yards of total offense per game through his first three games, nearly 100-yards better than WCU’s single-season record (271.3 yds/gm by David Rivers, 2000);
- Catamount wide receiver Hunter Jacobs recorded his first career reception in Saturday’s loss at ETSU … Also, punter Ian Berryman tallied his first carry on a 19-yard, drive-extending fake punt rush;
- Saturday’s attendance of 13,863 was an all-time high for an ETSU-hosted football game.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon’s game were: senior DB #3 Fred Payne; junior RB #21 Detrez Newsome; redshirt junior linebacker #58 Daniel Riddle, though he was not dressed out for the game; and senior OL #62 Ethan James;
- Senior LS #59 Chandler Addertion carried the American Flag and senior DL #49 Fred Mooring carried the "All You Got" flag ... ETSU won the coin toss and deferred to the second half ... WCU received the opening kickoff.