Sept. 15, 2012
#9 Wofford 49, Western Carolina 20
Spartanburg, S.C. - Sept. 15, 2012
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina suffered its seventh-straight loss to Wofford in the all-time, head-to-head series, and the eighth-straight road loss at Wofford; - The Catamounts have dropped 15-consecutive games in Southern Conference play; - WCU dropped to 1-2 on the season and 0-1 in SoCon play, dropping its league opener for the seventh-straight season.
- After earning a defensive stop on Wofford's first possession, the Catamount offense drove into field goal range with its first offensive touch ... However, the field goal was blocked marking the first WCU field goal attempt to be blocked since Austin Hayes of Samford blocked a Catamount attempt on Oct. 29, 2011;
- WCU had two firsts on its first touchdown of the game - freshman DT #94 John McBeth recorded his first career sack while forcing a fumble that senior DL #96 Eric Banford scooped up and raced 10 yards for a touchdown, the first of his career ... It was WCU's second defensive touchdown of the year, both coming on fumble recoveries (Trevor Taylor vs. Mars Hill, 9 yd return);
- Wofford scored 28 points in the second quarter ... it was the first time since Georgia Tech put 28 on the scoreboard in the first quarter of the 2011 season opener that a team had scored 25-or-more points in one quarter of play;
- Freshman wide receiver Spearman Robinson made four catches on WCU's first drive of the second half to set his career-high ... Robinson finished with nine catches for 91 yards, both the most of his young WCU career ... Robinson missed most of the fourth quarter due to injury;
- Freshman tailback Darius Ramsey recorded his first career rushing TD, plunging in from two-yards out with 5:25 remaining in the third quarter of Saturday night's game at #9 Wofford;
- Freshman quarterback Troy Mitchell made his first appearance at QB since the opener against Mars Hill, coming on late in the third quarter, guiding WCU to a touchdown on his own eight-yard scramble ... Mitchell saw the field at Marshall split out as a wide receiver during WCU's first offensive drive against the Thundering Herd;
- Western Carolina's quarterback duo spread the ball around to 10 different receivers, completing 32 of 42 passes on the night for a combined 335 yards;
- Senior linebacker Nathaniel Sedergren was credited with a career-high nine tackles including one for loss at Wofford ... Sedergren's previous career-best was eight at Marshall;
- Western Carolina has several players make their first career starts on Saturday night ... on offense, #8 Spearman Robinson started at wide receiver and on defense, #32 Nate Sedergren and #29 De'Von Richardson both made their first career start ... #77 Dan Polaski made his first start of the season along the offensive line while #30 Randy Pressley made his first start;
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday evening's game were: senior running back #5 Michael Johnson; senior linebacker #32 Nathaniel Sedergren; senior linebacker #51 Rock Williams; and senior offensive lineman #65 Teddy Rhoney;
- Western Carolina won the opening coin toss and elected to defer ... WCU kicked off to start the game.