Sept. 14, 2013
The Citadel 28, Western Carolina 21
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Saturday, September 14, 2013
With the Loss...
- Western Carolina dropped its 13th-straight game dating back to last season, and was relegated to its 29th consecutive loss to a NCAA Division I opponent (FBS or FCS) opponent ... It also represented the 23rd-straight loss in Southern Conference play;
- Western Carolina suffered its third-straight defeat in the series with The Citadel ... the Catamounts now trail The Citadel in the overall series, 15-22-1 ... the Bulldogs now lead in the series in Cullowhee 10-9.
- With the loss to The Citadel, Western Carolina is now 29-11 in home openers since moving to E.J. Whitmire Stadium in 1974 ... The loss to the Bulldogs snaps a two-game winning streak in home openers dating back to 2011;
- In Southern Conference openers, Western Carolina is now 20-16 since joining the league in 1977;
- WCU again failed to scratch the scoreboard in the first half on Saturday afternoon, trailing the Bulldogs 14-0 after the opening stanza ... the Catamounts have been outscored in the opening quarter, 42-0, so far this season;
- Saturday's game marked the first-time this season that Western Carolina came out in the negative in the turnover game ... In its first two games, the Catamounts finished even with their opponents with as many takeaways as it had turnovers ... Against The Citadel, WCU had a fumble on special teams (which led to the Bulldogs second touchdown) and a late interception while only taking the ball away once on an interception ... WCU is now (-1) on the season in the turnover department;
- For the first-time this year, WCU had a 100-yard rusher as both quarterback Troy Mitchell (106) and tailback Darius Ramsey (102) eclipsed the century mark in the home loss to The Citadel ... It's the first time since the same duo rushed for 117 and 118, respectively, against The Citadel a season ago that WCU had two, 100-yard rushers in the same game ... Mitchell carried the ball 17 times for 117 yards and Ramsey rushed 20 times for 107 yards with a career-best two touchdowns in Saturday's loss;
- Senior defensive lineman Andre Whitmire snagged the first interception of his career picking off The Citadel's quarterback Den Dupree with 12:48 left in the fourth quarter ... Both he and defensive end John McBeth pressured Dupree with McBeth deflecting the ball into the air where it fell into the arms of Whitmire ... His interception set up Western Carolina's third TD of the game;
- With 12 tackles against The Citadel, senior linebacker Courtland Carson has recorded back-to-back double figure tackle games as he had 12 against Virginia Tech;
- For the first time this season, Western Carolina had multiple players with double figure tackles ... WCU had four players with double figure tackles: Sertonuse Harris (16), Courtland Carson (12), Andre Sishkin (10) and Christon Gill (10).
Career Numbers Update:
- Redshirt senior defensive lineman Andre Shishkin had a career-high 10 tackles against The Citadel including a game-high 2.5 tackles for loss;
- Sophomore defensive back Sertonuse Harris matched his career-best with a game-high 16 tackles including four solo stops;
- Sophomore QB Troy Mitchell's 53 yard rushing play in the second half was the longest of his career, keying a WCU scoring drive;
- In his first action this season, Darius Ramsey scored a two rushing touchdowns against The Citadel ... His output on Saturday afternoon matched that of his rookie season as he rushed for two TDs as a true freshman in 2012;
- Junior kicker Richard Sigmon booted three of his four kickoffs into the end zone resulting in a career-best three touchbacks.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: redshirt junior defensive back #28 Ace Clark; senior punter #38 Clark Sechrest; senior offensive lineman #52 Quevalas Murray; and senior offensive lineman #72 Vince Williams... The Citadel won the coin toss and elected to receive.