East Carolina 52, Western Carolina 7
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium / Bagwell Field
Greenville, N.C. - Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina suffered its eighth-straight loss to directional foe, East Carolina, each coming in Greenville, N.C. ... the game halted a 35-year hiatus in the all-time series between the two in-state foes ... WCU fell to 13-18 all-time vs. ECU, 4-13 in games played in Greenville;
- WCU dropped to 15-26 all-time in season-openers including a mark of 4-25 when the opener comes on the road;
- WCU dropped its 52nd-consecutive game to NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponents, falling to 0-52 all-time.
- Redshirt freshman quarterback Tyrie Adams made his collegiate debut on Saturday, earning the start in the season-opener at East Carolina ... Adams is the third redshirt freshman QB to start at quarterback for the Catamounts since 2007 -- he joins Adam Hearns (2007) and Zack Jaynes (2008) as redshirt freshmen to start a game;
- Adams is among a group of six freshmen or redshirt freshmen QBs to start for WCU dating back to 1991 ... Chad Greene (1992) started for the injured Lonnie Galloway in a 27-24 win over Chattanooga back in 1991 ... Hearns (2007) and Jaynes (2008) were redshirt freshmen to start with true freshmen Brandon Pechloff (2010) and Troy Mitchell (2012) also starting at quarterback;
- Adams completed his first six passes to start his career, opening 7-of-8 in the first quarter of his collegiate debut;
- Including Adams, a total of 13 Catamounts made their collegiate debut on Saturday night at East Carolina including five true freshmen -- #2 Connell Young; #12 Tyrie Adams; #18 Bryce Wilson; #19 Devarius Cortner; #24 Jay Gibbs; #44 Aubry Payne; #47 Myreon Bennett; #50 Walker Lanning; #56 Jerod Walls; #81 Jacob Robinson; #88 Brad Swan Jr.; #94 Jake Helms; and #99 Christian Stewart;
- Junior tailback Detrez Newsome rushed for 50 yards at East Carolina, halting a string of three-straight, 100-yard rushing games dating back to last season ... Newsome had posted games of 141 yards rushing at VMI, 111 at Texas A&M, and 184 vs. Furman to end the 2015 season en route to a 1,000-yard season;
- Newsome scored WCU's lone points against the Pirates, romping in from 13-yards out for his 19th career rushing touchdown ... He is just one rushing TD shy of moving into a tie for 10th in WCU's career record books, and would match Carlton Terry (20, 1987-90) and Melvin Dorsey (20, 1981-83) all-time;
- Newsome finished with 116 all-purpose yards at ECU marking his fourth-straight, 100+ all-purpose yard outing dating back to last season ... Newsome has 16, 100+ all-purpose yard outings in his career that does include five, 200+ yard outings;
- Though the Catamounts retained possession of the football once the dust settled, WCU had a punt blocked for the first-time since 2011 when Gary Coates of Elon blocked two punts;
- WCU also saw an opposing QB throw for four-or-more touchdown passes in a single-game for the first-time since 2013 when Auburn's Jeremy Johnson threw four TD passes ... ECU's Philip Nelson tossed five scoring strikes in the 2016 season-opener;
- Seniors Tyson Dickson and Trey Morgan led WCU defensively with 10 tackles apiece ... For Dickson, it marked his ninth career double-digit tackle performance while Morgan tallied 10-or-more tackles for the fifth time as a Catamount.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday night's game were senior DB #3 Fred Payne; redshirt junior LB #58 Daniel Riddle; and senior OL #62 Ethan James ... Western Carolina won the coin toss and choose to receive the opening kickoff;