CULLOWHEE, N.C. - For the first time during the 2017-18 campaign the Western Carolina men’s basketball team will face a nationally-ranked opponent Monday night as the Catamounts travel to Northern Kentucky to take on the #12/13 Bearcats of the University of Cincinnati. With UC’s home arena closed due to renovations the game will take place inside BB&T Arena on the campus of Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, Ky. WCU is looking to rebound from a season-opening loss at Clemson while the Bearcats are looking to start the season 2-0 after defeating Savannah State Friday, 107-77. The game will be aired on ESPN3 with a 7 pm tip time.
Western Carolina (0-1, 0-0 SoCon) at #12/13 Cincinnati (1-0, 0-0 AAC)
Monday, Nov. 13 | 7 p.m. | Highland Heights, Ky. | BB&T Arena (9,400)
WCU Versus Cincinnati
• Monday’s game will mark the fourth meeting between the Catamounts and Bearcats.
• The Bearcats hold a perfect 3-0 record against the Catamounts with wins in 1996, 2007 and 2015.
• In the 2007 meeting, the Catamounts lost on a buzzer-beater by the Bearcats’ Marcus Sikes. The driving layup was Sikes’ only basket of the game as he gave UC the victory.
• Current WCU assistant coach Brigham Waginger started the 2007 game for the Catamounts and played 32 minutes while scoring three points, grabbing five rebounds, dishing out three assists and snagging three steals.
• Current Catamounts Devin Peterson, Deriece Parks, Haboubacar Mutombo, Marc Gosselin, Ashley Williams and Charlendez Brooks all played in the 2015 contest with Cincinnati. Peterson had the best performance with five points, two rebounds and two assists.
Catamounts Against The AAC
• Western Carolina is 16-31 all-time against current members of the American Athletic Conference.
• WCU’s last win over a current AAC school came in 2005. The Catamounts traveled to East Carolina and defeated the Pirates 56- 48. It marked the second-straight win for the Catamounts over ECU.
• The Catamounts are 16-26 all-time against ECU, 0-3 against Cincinnati, 0-1 against Connecticut and 0-1 against USF.
OH - IO
• Since head coach Larry Hunter took over the Western Carolina men’s basketball program, the Catamounts have played 18 games against team’s from Ohio.
• Coach Hunter spent the first 30 years of his coaching career in the state of Ohio at Marietta College,
Wittenberg University and Ohio University.
• WCU has had at least one game against a team from Ohio during 12 of coach Hunter’s 13 seasons at the helm of the program.
• The only season that did not feature a team from Ohio was the 2012-13 campaign.
• The streak began with a neutral site match-up against Bowling Green during the 2005-06 season, coach Hunter’s first as head coach of the Catamounts.
• WCU faced Muskingum, Xavier and Dayton during his second season before taking on Bowling Green and Cincinnati in 2007-08.
• In all, the Catamounts have faced Bowling Green (2x), Cincinnati (2x), Cleveland State, Dayton (2x), Kent State (4x), Muskingum, Ohio State (2x), Wittenberg, Wright State (2x) and Xavier since coach Hunter arrived in Cullowhee.
• The Catamounts are 3-15 against team’s from Ohio under head coach Larry Hunter.