Dec. 30, 2013
Box Score |
Cullowhee, N.C. -
WCU Athletic Media Relations
Monday, December 30, 2013
For Immediate Release
Sumler Pours in 40 Points In 106-72 Win Over Milligan
Sumler is the first Catamount to score 40 or more points since the 2003-04 season
Cullowhee, N.C. - Senior guard Trey Sumler tallied a career-high 40 points to lead the Western Carolina men's basketball team to a 106-72 win over Milligan Monday night in the Ramsey Center in a nonconference match. It was the second time this season the Catamounts eclipsed the century mark.
Sumler, who becomes the tenth player in the NCAA to score 40 or more points this season and third player in the Southern Conference to achieve the feat, was 13-of-21 from the field, 7-of-10 from behind the arc and 7-of-8 from the free throw line. Sumler has scored exactly 100 points in WCU's last four games with 21 points at Wright State, 18 points against Charleston Southern, 21 points at Georgia and his 40 points Monday against Milligan. He also becomes the first Catamount since Kevin Martin in 2004, now in the NBA playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves, to score 40 or more points in a game.
Following two free throws from Josh Mendenhall with 12:26 left in the first half, WCU held an 18-5 lead only to see Milligan mount a 10-0 run to cut the margin down to 18-15 two minutes later. However, the Catamounts closed out the half with a 28-11 run take a comfortable 46-26 lead into the break. Sumler was 5-of-10 overall with four 3-pointers for 20 points in the first 20 minutes.
The second half was never contested as the Catamounts outscored the Buffaloes 60-46 to pick up the 106-71 win. WCU remains perfect at home, 5-0, and move to 7-8 overall on the season. They also pick up their 111th win when scoring 100 or more points.
The Catamounts outrebounded the Buffaloes 51-31 including 18-10 on the offensive glass. WCU's 18 offensive boards led to 24 second chance points. The Purple & Gold forced Milligan into 10 turnovers leading to 21 Catamount points. WCU handed the ball over a season-low six times leading to only three points for Milligan.
Trailing Sumler, who also had seven rebounds and three assists, for WCU was Torrion Brummitt, who tallied a career-high 16 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the floor. He also knocked down six of his eight free throw attempts; his six makes from the line was a career-high. James Sinclair grabbed a game-high eight rebounds, while Rhett Harrelson had a team and career-high four assists.
WCU ended the game at 48 percent from the floor, 42 percent from three and a season-high 85 percent from the charity stripe as the Catamounts made 23 of their 27 free throw attempts.
The Purple & Gold will open the 2014 calendar year with its SoCon opener as the Catamounts host UNCG Thursday, January 2 at 7 p.m. WCU stays at home with Elon, who was picked to win the league, on Saturday, January 4 at 2 p.m.
Western Carolina vs. Milligan Notes
- Trey Sumler went 13-of-21 from the floor including 7-of-10 from three for a career-high 40 points ... Sumler became the first Catamount since Kevin Martin - currently of the Minnesota Timberwolves - scored 42 points in the Ramsey against Elon on January 10, 2004;
- Sumler became the third player this season to tally 40 or more points ... He joins Z Mason of Chattanooga, who scored 41 points against Hiwassee on December 22, and Stephen Croone of Furman who scored 40 points against Liberty on December 20.
- Sumler is the tenth player heading as of December 29's games to score 40 or more points in a game ... He is currently tied for fifth with five other players at 40 points for points score in a single game in the NCAA.
- His seven made threes was a new career-high from behind the 3-point line ... He also made a career-high 13 total field goals ... His 21 field goal attempts tied a career-high ... Sumler attempted 21 shots against USC Upstate on November 23, 2013 and against the College of Charleston on March 9, 2013;
- With his 40 points Monday night, Sumler moves into the seventh place all-time on the Catamount career scoring list with 1,696 points ... Sumler passed Robert Gaines, who scored 1,680 points from 1989-93 ... Next up on the list is former Catamount standout, former Southern Conference Player of the Year and current Catamount assistant coach Anquell McCollum, who scored 1,777 points from 1992-96 ... Sumler could become the first player coached by McCollum to surpass him on the points list;
- Sumler went 7-of-8 from the free throw line passing Frankie King for fifth all-time for free throws made in a career ... Sumler has now made 402 free throws ... King made 400 FTs from 1993-95;
- Sumler also moved into the top ten for field goals made in a career after his 21 attempts Monday ... Sumler has attempted 1,251 field goals ... It is his 13th statistical category where he is ranked in the top ten;
- Torrion Brummitt scored a career-high 16 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the field ... His five makes tied a career-high ... Brummitt went 6-of-8 from the free throw line setting a career-high for made free throws and tying a career-high for free throws attempted.
- Rhett Harrelson handed out a team-high four assists for a topping his previous career make of three assists.
- Reserve Ethan Freeman knocked down his first career 3-pointer with 3:10 left in the second half ... Freeman also had two assists marking a career-high.
- WCU turned the ball over only six times marking a season low for the Catamounts ... WCU had nine turnovers against Georgia on December 21.
- The Catamounts eclipsed the 100 point mark for the second time this season with their 106 points in the win ... WCU tallied 107 points against Wittenberg in the season opener ... WCU has scored 100 points in 114 games and is now 111-3 in game when scoring over 100 points.
- The win pushes WCU to 7-8 overall and keeps the Catamounts at 5-0 when playing in the Ramsey Center.