Dec. 17, 2013
Watch Live | Catamount All-Access ($)
Cullowhee, N.C. -
The Western Carolina men's basketball team will renew as series against Charleston Southern that hasn't been played since the 1997-98 season as the Catamounts attempt to halt their current three-game losing skid Wednesday night with tipoff against the Buccaneers set for 7 p.m. inside the Ramsey Center.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 5-7 overall after suffering a 66-55 loss at Cleveland State (12/16) following a 12-day layoff due to exams;
- The Catamounts are currently on THREE-GAME slide with losses to Coastal Carolina (12/04), 76-68, and to Wright State (11/30), 85-77.
- WCU was ONE of only FOUR teams to play ten games in the opening month of the season ... UT-Martin, Abilene Christian and FIU are the other three teams;
- The last SIX WCU opponent have place FOUR or more players in double figures ... The streak dates back to Niagara (11/22) ... Wright State (11/30) had FIVE players score 10 or more points.
- Sumler LEADS the Catamounts in scoring on the season at 17.8 points per game ... He also averages 4.1 assists.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 635 career wins over 33 seasons ... Hunter has been a head coach in 1,003 career games ... His 1,000th career game came in a 78-69 win over Limestone (11/26).
WCU vs. Charleston Southern
- The Catamounts and Buccaneers have met 13 times with WCU holding an 8-5 ADVANTAGE in the series;
- The LAST meeting was a 79-68 WIN for the Catamounts during the 1997-98 season on November 29, 1997 ... WCU holds a TWO game winning streak over CSU.
- WCU is 6-1 all-time against CSU at HOME.
- The Purple & Gold are 0-1 against this Big South this season after a 76-88 loss at Coastal Carolina (12/04).
Scouting the Buccaneers
Catamount Quick Hitters
- The Buccaneers enter the game at 3-5 overall are ... CSU is coming of a 59-45 loss at Alabama (12/14) in its last game.
- CSU has FIVE players averaging double-digits led by Saah Nimley's 15 points per game ... Paul Gombwer averages a team-high 6.6 rebounds per game.
- WCU is vying to have THREE players reach the 1,000 career-point plateau; Trey Sumler
(1,617 Brandon Boggs
(1,065) and Tawaski King
- Boggs became the 43rd Catamount OVER 1,000 points on a jumper from the wing in the first half vs. Niagara (11/22).
- The Catamounts play 10 of the first 15 games on the road.
- WCU will play FIVE games on "TV";at No. 18/18 Oregon on the Pac-12 Network, at Virginia Tech on ESPN3, at George on CSS at Wofford on ESPN3 and vs. Furman on ESPN3.
- Trey Sumler
is the FOURTH active player in the NCAA with over 1,500 career points and over 350 career assists.
- Wednesday's game vs. CSU will be on carried on the CATAMOUNT SPORTS NETWORK with Gary Ayers and Daniel Hooker on the call.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Catamounts TRAVEL to Georgia on December 21 for their last game before the Christmas Holidays;
- WCU's LAST game of the 2013 calendar year will be a HOME date against Milligan on December 30 at 7 p.m.
- The Purple & Gold will OPEN the 2014 calendar year and SOUTHERN CONFERENCE schedule with UNCG on January 2 at 7 p.m.