Dec. 15, 2013
Cullowhee, N.C. - Forty-eight hours after participating in the Western Carolina December graduation, senior guard Trey Sumler will lead the Catamounts against Cleveland State Monday night at 7 p.m. for the team's first action since December 4.
Sumler, a native of Rocky Mount, N.C., received his degree from Western Carolina on December 14, 2013 in the Ramsey Center as part of WCU's December graduation following the completion of the fall semester.
"It means a lot to me personally," Sumler said. "I was talking to Coach McCollum the other day about coming here to win championships and to me this is like winning a championship by graduating. It felt good to have my family and friends there. I think it meant even more to my family than it did to me."
Sumler, a fifth year senior, will enroll and take graduate school classes to remain eligible for competition as per NCAA rules. He currently leads the team in scoring at 17.4 points per game and is ranked in the Catamount career top ten in 12 different statistical categories including ranked ninth with 1,596 career points.
Ironically, Sumler can become the first Catamount coached and recruited by McCollum to surpass him on the all-time scoring list. McCollum, who was named the 1996 Southern Conference Player of the Year and led the Catamounts to the 1996 NCAA Tournament, scored 1,777 points and is ranked sixth.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 5-6 overall after suffering a 76-68 loss at Coastal Carolina (11/30) in its last game 12 days ago;
- WCU is one of only four teams to play ten games in the opening month of the season ... UT-Martin, Abilene Christian and FIU are the other three teams;
- However the Catamounts only play five games in December and are coming off of a 12 day layoff following exam week.
- Trey Sumler -- who was named SoCon Player of the Week on Tuesday November 26 -- tallied a career-high 35 points in the win over Niagara (11/22) ... He added 16 in the loss to Upstate (11/23) and averaged 18.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists in the three games at the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic;
- Sumler leads the Catamounts in scoring on the season at 17.4 points per game ... He also has a team-high 37 assists.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 635 career wins over 33 seasons.
WCU vs. Cleveland State
- The Catamounts and Vikings have never met on the hardwood;
- However, WCU head coach Larry Hunter is 1-1 against CSU ... Hunter faced the Vikings as head coach of the Ohio Bobcats ...
- Hunter `s Bobcats lost 64-41 on December 8 at CSU, but returned the favor the following year with an 87-82 win on November 20.
- WCU is 0-1 to current members of the Horizon League with the only game at Wright State (11/30).
Scouting the Vikings
- The Vikings enter the game at 4-5 overall after a suffering a 73-61 set back to Akron (12/07) in their last game;
- CSU has lost back-to-back games after follwoing at Drexel (12/04), 85-82, in overtime;
- The Vikings have four players averaging double figures with Bryn Forbes leading the way at 18.6 points per game.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- A home date on December 18 against Charleston Southern is WCU's next game in the Ramsey Center;
- The Catamounts travel to Georgia on December 21 for their last game before the Christmas Holidays;
- WCU's last game of the 2013 calendar year will be a home date against Milligan on December 30 at 7 p.m.