March 10, 2014
Asheville, N.C. - Western Carolina is seeking its second Southern Conference title Monday night against Wofford in the US Cellular Center in Asheville. The game will be televised on ESPN2 and on the radio on the Catamount Sports Network. Westwood one will also carry the game on the airwaves nationally on Sirius 91/XM 91.
Tickets are still available at the box office for $22, while the first 200 WCU students that show their student ID at the WCU will call window will receive a free ticket.
A pep rally will be held at Scully's Bar and Grille in Asheville starting at 7:30 p.m.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 19-14 overall and 10-4 in the SoCon ...No. 5 seed WCU is riding a two-game winning streak after a quarterfinal win over No. 4 seed Elon, 66-64 ... The Catamounts advanced to the finals after a 99-97 overtime upset win over No. 1 seed Davidson.
- At 10-6 in the SoCon, WCU won 10 or more conference games for the sixth time since joining the league;
- Trey Sumler, 17.7 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 12.3 ppg and 11.9 ppg;
- Sumler is fifth in the SoCon in points per game, leads the league in assists at 4.4 per game and minutes played at 35.6 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,987 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked 10th on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is ranked fourth with over 1,500 career pts and 350 career assists ... He is attempting to become only the third Catamount to break 2,000 points.
- Sumler was named to the coaches' all-conference team and media first team all-conference following the season.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.4 and offensive rebounds at 13.5 per game ... The Catamounts are second in blocks averaging 4.8 per game and in turnover margin at +1.76.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 647 career wins over 33 seasons.
Western Carolina in the Southern Conference Tournament
- WCU is 22-34 all-time in the Southern Conference including a 10-14 mark in quarterfinal games ... WCU is 4-8 in the semifinals and 1-2 in three appearances in the championship game.
- With a win Monday, WCU the Catamounts would be crowned tournament champions for the second time in school history ... WCU, led by current assistant coach Anquell McCollum, won the 1996 tournament ... WCU appeared in the 1995 finals and 2012 finals ... The Catamounts fell 93-92 in double overtime to Davidson in 2012 in their last SoCon finals trip.
- WCU is 10-13 in the SoCon Tournament games in Asheville.
WCU vs. Wofford in the Finals
- In its only matchup this season, Wofford topped WCU 71-60 in Spartanburg on January 20 ... Wofford's Karl Cochran scored a game-high 23 points leading the Terriers, while Trey Sumler notched 20 points to lead WCU ... Wofford went 44 percent from the floor, 50 percent from three and 73 percent from the line, while WCU was 32 percent overall, 32 percent from long-range and 81 percent from the line.
- The Catamounts are 25-20 all-time against the Terriers including taking three of the last five meetings in the series.
- WCU is 2-3 in five previous meetings in the SoCon tournament against Wofford ... The Catamounts won the last tournament meeting in the quarterfinals of the 2012 tournament, 82-59.
- Karl Cochran leads three Terriers in double figures averaging 15.4 ppg ... Spencer Collins follows with 13.1 pps, while Lee Skinner averages 11.2 pps and 8.6 rebounds per game.
What a WCU Win Would Mean
- With a win, WCU would claim its 11th 20-win season and second under head coach Larry Hunter in his nine seasons ... WCU went 22-12 in 2009-10 notching the program's first 20-win season since entering the Division I ranks.
- WCU would advance to the NCAA for only the second time -- 1996 WCU lost to Purdue 73-71 in the first round.