March 7, 2014
Asheville, N.C. - The Western Carolina men's basketball team is set for its Southern Conference Tournament game against No. 4 seeded Elon Saturday at 2:30 p.m. in the US Cellular Center.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 17-14 overall and 10-6 in the SoCon after an 93-86 loss at Samford (03/01) to close out the season on a two-game losing streak following an 83-81 overtime loss to Chattanooga (02/27) ... Prior to the two-game slide, WCU had won five of it last six.
- At 10-6 in the SoCon, WCU has won 10 or more conference games for the sixth time since joining the league;
- Trey Sumler, 17.9 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 11.9 ppg and 11.4 ppg;
- Sumler is fifth in the SoCon in points per game, leads the league in assists at 4.4 per game and minutes played at 35.6 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,959 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked 10th on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is ranked fourth with over 1,500 career pts and 350 career assists;
- Sumler was named to the coaches' all-conference team and media first team all-conference following the season.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.5 and offensive rebounds at 13.4 per game ... The Catamounts are second in blocks averaging 4.8 per game, in turnover margin at +1.77 and assist to turnover ratio a 1.2.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 647 career wins over 33 seasons.
Western Carolina in the Southern Conference Tournament
- WCU is 20-34 all-time in the Southern Conference including a 9-14 mark in quarterfinal games ... WCU is 3-8 in the semifinals and 1-2 in three appearances in the championship game.
- WCU defeated The Citadel, 81-76, in the first round of the 2013 tournament ... The Catamounts fell in the quarterfinals, 78-70 to the College of Charleston.
- With a win Saturday, WCU will wait the winner of No. 1 seed Davidson vs. the winner of game one of the tournament, No. 8 seed Samford vs. No. 9 seed Appalachian State.
- WCU is 8-13 in the SoCon Tournament games in Asheville, N.C.
WCU vs. Elon in the Quarterfinals and Possible Semifinal Game
- WCU spilt the season series against its quarterfinal opponent, Elon ... The Catamounts won the first game 74-62 in the Ramsey Center on January 4, but fell to the Phoenix in the return trip to Elon, 74-60, on January 30 ... WCU is 2-0 against Elon in the SoCon Tournament ... The last meeting came in the 2010 quarters, a 68-57 WCU win.
- In its only matchup this season, Davidson took down WCU 78-60 on January 23 handing the Catamounts their first home loss of the season ... Davidson will play either Samford or App State in its quarterfinal game before a possible semifinal game against a possible game against WCU.
- WCU and Davidson last met in the SoCon Tournament in the double overtime thrilling championship game in 2012 ... The Wildcats pulled out the win 93-91 ... The Catamounts are 4-3 against the Wildcats in the tournament.
- The Catamounts swept the season series over SoCon rival App State with an 84-75 overtime win over the Mountaineers on February 8 and a 74-61 win in Boone spoiling App State's senior day ... In tournament play, WCU is 2-7 against App State.
- Samford and WCU split the season series with the Catamounts winning 67-64 on January 18 and the Bulldogs claiming a 93-86 win in Samford in the regular season finale on March 1 ... WCu and Samford have never met in the SoCon Tournament.
Catamount Central presented by Champion Credit Union
Join WCU at Scully's Bar and Grille on 13 Walnut Street in Asheville as official spot before every Catamount basketball game in the Southern Conference Tournament. The Catamounts' Tipoff Party starts Friday, March 7 at 6 p.m. Join head coach Larry Hunter and head coach Karen Middleton and their teams at Scully's as we kickoff the 2014 Southern Conference Basketball Championship.
At 8 p.m. rock out with TLQ +2 featuring Vinyl Brothers & Mike "Biscuit" Neal. Enjoy an evening with your Catamount alumni and listen to great music by our own, Terri Lynn Queen '89, Tim Gillespie '86, and Mike Neal '86!