Feb. 28, 2014
Birmingham, Ala. - The Western Carolina men's basketball team travels to Samford with tipoff in the Catamounts' regular season finale slated for Saturday at 6 p.m. central time, 7 p.m. eastern time in the Pete Hanna Center.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 17-13 overall and 10-5 in the SoCon after an 83-81 overtime loss to Chattanooga on Thursday ... WCU had won five of it last six prior to the loss.
- At 10-5 in the SoCon, WCU has won ten or more conference games for the sixth time since joining the league;
- With a 74-61 win over App State (02/20), WCU sealed a first round SoCon Tournament bye ... It is the first by for the Catamounts since 2011.
- The Catamounts are 11-2 in the Ramsey Center... WCU is 91-41 under head coach Larry Hunter at home.
- Trey Sumler, 17.6 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 11.9 ppg and 11.6 ppg; - Sumler is fifth in the SoCon in points per game and leads the league in assists at 4.4 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,932 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked eleventh on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is ranked fourth with over 1,500 career pts and 350 career assists.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.6 and offensive rebounds at 13.3 per game. - Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 647 career wins over 33 seasons.
WCU vs. Samford: The Series History
- The Catamounts and Bulldogs have met 12 times prior to Saturday's game with WCU holding a 9-3 advantage in the series;
- WCU won the first scheduled game in the 1969-70 when Samford had to forfeit ... The series resumed in 2009, a 76-64 WCU loss, when the Bulldogs joined the SoCon;
- WCU has won five of the last six meetings in ... Five of those six games have been decided by less than five points inlcuding the last meeting between the two schools;
- The Catamounts trailed at the half, but rallied to win 67-64 in the Ramsey Center on January 18.
- WCU is 2-3 in road games against the Bulldogs.
Scouting the Bulldogs
- Samford enters the game at 11-19 overall and 5-10 in the SoCon after a 63-57 loss to App State on February 27... The Bulldogs have dropped five of its last six games including four straight ... Samford is 9-4 when playing at home this season.
- Tim Williams leads Samford averaging 17.4 points per game and 7.4 rebounds per game ... He is shooting 60.1 percent.
- Isaiah Williams averages 12.5 points per game and Raijon Kelly follows with 10.5 points per game.
- Samford is second in the SoCon in field goal percentage at 47.2 percent and third in the league in blocks at 3.1 per game and assists averaging 13.8 per game.
- Bennie Seltzer is in his second season as the head coach of the Bulldogs.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Catamounts have locked up a first round bye in the Southern Conference Tournament.
- The tournament is set to begin in Asheville, N.C. on Friday, March 7, but with the bye WCU won't start play until Saturday March 8 in the US Cellular Center.
- The Catamounts look to a lock for the fifth seed, but are awaiting its opponent following conference play Saturday.