James Sinclair and the Catamounts will play their sixth televised game this season.
Feb. 24, 2014
Box Score |
Cullowhee, N.C. -
Western Carolina men's basketball game against Chattanooga scheduled for Thursday, February 27 at 7 p.m. in the Ramsey Center will be televised on WMYA-TV, My40. The matchup, which features two 10-4 Southern Conference teams, will also be streamed on ESPN3 (subject to blackout restrictions).
The broadcast is made possible through WCU athletics' partnership with Ingles. Additional special thanks to both Andy Shaw Ford and the Cullowhee River Club on the Tuckasegee.
The Catamounts have played in five previous televised games this season including two Southern Conference Games of the Week on CSS and ESPN3- against Furman on February 10 in the Ramsey Center and at Wofford on January 20. WCU also made televised appearances at Georgia on December 21, a game carried on CSS and ESPN3, and at then ranked No. 18 Oregon, a game carried on the Pac-12 Network. The Purple & Gold made another separate appearance on ESPN3 at Virginia Tech on November 15.
Thursday's game features two 10-4 Southern Conference teams vying for positioning heading into the Southern Conference tournament. Both Chattanooga and Western Carolina have locked up a first round bye - meaning neither can finish below fifth place. However, both teams could finish as high second place in the final conference standings.
WCU enters Thursday after winning five of its last six games including three straight, while UTC has dropped four of its last five games including the last two games.
ESPN3 Stream | Live Stats | Catamount Sports Network Broadcast | Chattanooga Game 30 Notes
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 17-12 overall and 10-4 in the SoCon after a 70-52 win over The Citadel (02/22) ... The Catamounts have won five of their last six games including three straight wins.
- At 10-1 in the SoCon, WCU has won ten or more conference games for the sixth time since joining the league;
- With a 74-61 win over App State (02/20), WCU sealed a first round SoCon Tournament bye ... It is the first by for the Catamounts since 2011.
- The Catamounts are 11-1 in the Ramsey Center... WCU is 91-40 under head coach Larry Hunter at home.
- Trey Sumler, 17.7 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 11.6 ppg and 11.3 ppg;
- Sumler is fifth in the SoCon in points per game and leads the league in assists at 4.3 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,917 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked tenth on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is ranked fourth -- of 21 players -- with over 1,500 career pts and 350 career assists.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.8 and offensive rebounds at 13.3 per game.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 647 career wins over 33 seasons.
WCU vs. Chattanooga: The Series History
- The Catamounts and Mocs have met 81 times prior to Thursday's contest ... UTC holds a 59-22 advantage in the series including a 48-19 mark in SoCon games;
- The Catamounts are 18-20 in home games ... WCU lost the last home meeting 81-72 on February 28, 2013 ... Prior to that loss, WCU had reeled off five straight wins at home.
- The Mocs won the first meeting between the two schools 73-83 on February 14, 2014 in Chattanooga ... UTC has won the last two meetings in the series.
- The first meeting was in 1969, a 77-64 WCU win ... The series resumed in 1973-74 and has been played every year since.
Scouting the Mocs
- Chattanooga enters the game at 16-13 overall and 10-4 in the Southern Conference ... The Mocs are 4-10 on the road;
- UTC has dropped four of its last five games and five of the last seven games ... The Mocs last win came on February 14, 83-73, over WCU ... Chattanooga lost 88-84 at UNCG in their last game on February 23.
- Z. Mason leads four Mocs in scoring with 18.1 points per game ... He also averages 9.5 rebounds per game leading the SoCon ... Casey Jones follows with 12.2 ppg and Ronrico White averages 11.2 ppg ... Gee McGhee averages 10.2 ppg;
- Chattanooga leads the league in blocked shots at 5.1 per game -- WCU is second at 4.9 per game.
- Will Wade is in his first season at the helm of the Mocs program.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- WCU ends its season at Samford on March 1 at 7 p.m. EST 6 p.m. CST;
- The Catamounts defeated Samford 67-64 in the Ramsey Center on January 18 ... The Bulldogs last second game-tying attempt hit the front of the rim.
- WCU has locked up a first round bye in the SoCon Tournament, but its seed is still in question prior to Thursday.