Tom Tankelewicz was critical in the win at App State on Thursday.
Feb. 21, 2014
Cullowhee, N.C. -
Fresh off its 74-61 win over rival Appalachian State to seal a first round Southern Conference Tournament bye, Western Carolina returns home to the Ramsey Center opening a two-game home stand with The Citadel Saturday at 2 p.m.
Live Stats | Catamount Sports Network Broadcast | The Citadel Game 29 Notes
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 16-12 overall and 9-4 in the SoCon after a 74-61 win at App State (02/29) ... The Catamounts have won four of their last five games including three straight wins.
- With the win Thursday WCU sealed a first round SoCon Tournament bye ... It is the first by for the Catamounts since 2011.
- The Catamounts are 10-1 in the Ramsey Center... WCU is 90-40 under head coach Larry Hunter at home.
- Trey Sumler, 17.7 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 11.5 ppg and 11.2 ppg ... Boggs scored 20 plus points in consecutive games -- UNCG (02/16) and App State (02/20).
- Sumler is fifth in the SoCon in points per game and leads the league in assists at 4.3 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,899 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked tenth on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is ranked fourth -- of 21 players -- with over 1,500 career pts and 350 career assists.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.8 and offensive rebounds at 13.4 per game.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 646 career wins over 33 seasons.
WCU vs. The Citadel: The Series History
The Catamounts and Bulldogs have met 65 times prior to Saturday's meeting with The Citadel holding a 34-31 advantage;
- WCU has won the last five meetings -- its longest winning streak -- after The Citadel won five consecutive meetings ... The Catamounts won 78-60 on January 25 in Charleston in the first meeting between the two schools this season.
- The Bulldogs hold a 33-28 advantage in conference games ... WCU is 18-14 when playing in Cullowhee.
- The first meeting between the two teams came on December 10, 1977 -- when WCU joined the SoCon ... WCU won the first meeting 65-64;
- The two teams have played six overtime games and had five games decided by one point.
Scouting the Bulldogs
- The Citadel enters the game at 4-24 overall and 0-13 in SoCon games ... The Bulldogs are 0-14 on the road this season.
- The Citadel suffered an 83-76 loss to Davidson extending its losing streak to 16 games including two overtime games.
- The Bulldogs have lost 14 straight SoCon games.
- Matt Van Scyoc leads three Bulldogs in double digits at 14.2 points per game ... Van Scyoc shoots 43.0 percent from the floor ... Ashton Moore follows with 12.9 points per game ... Brian White averages 12.0 points per game;
- White leads The Citadel with 6.0 rebounds per game.
- The Bulldogs are second in the SoCon shooting 71.9 percent from the free throw line.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- WCU wraps up its home slate with Chattanooga on Thursday, February 27 at 7 p.m. ... The game against the Mocs will be Senior Day as WCU will honor its five seniors prior to trip off.
- The Moc beat the Catamounts 83-73 on February 14 in Chattanooga for the first meeting between the two teams.
- WCU end its season at Samford on March 1 at 7 p.m. eastern 6 p.m. central.