Feb. 19, 2014
Boone, N.C. -
Riding high off of an overtime win at UNCG Saturday, Western Carolina men's basketball team travels to Appalachian State as the two programs meet for the final time as Southern Conference opponents during the regular season with tipoff scheduled for 7 p.m. in the Holmes Center.
The Catamounts and Mountaineers have met 173 times, more than any other opponents in both team's history.
Live Stats | Catamount Sports Broadcast | App State Game 28 Notes
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 15-12 overall and 8-4 in the SoCon after an 82-77 overtime win at UNCG (02/16) ... The Catamounts have won three of their last four games including wins over App State (02/08) and Furman (02/10);
- WCU won eight straight in the Ramsey Center before falling to Davidson (01/23), 82-77... The Catamounts are 10-1 entering Monday in the Ramsey Center... WCU is 90-40 under head coach Larry Hunter at home.
- Trey Sumler, 17.8 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Sumler had notched back-to-back 20 point games after tallying 25 points against App State (02/08) and 24 points against Furman (02/10) ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 11.1 and 11.0 ppg respectively ... Boggs has scored 20 plus points in consecutive games.
- Sumler is fifth in the SoCon in points per game and leads the league in assists at 4.3 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,885 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked tenth on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is ranked fourth -- of 20 players -- with over 1,500 career pts and 350 career assists.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.7, turnover margin at +1.81 and offensive rebounds at 13.6 per game.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 645 career wins over 33 seasons.
WCU vs. App State: The Series History
- WCU is 65-108 all-time against the Mountaineers in 173 meetings ... App State owns a 27-46 mark in SoCon games and holds an edge, 22-58, in games played in Boone.
- The Catamounts have won five of the last seven meetings including the first meeting between the two teams this season ... WCU won 84-75 in overtime in Cullowhee on February 8;
- App State has won seven of the last eight games in the Holmes Center including a 74-65 win on February 2, 2012;
- WCU's last road win was 84-72 on January 21, 2012.
- This is the last meeting as SoCon foes in the regular season as App State leaves for the Sun Belt in 2014-15.
Scouting the Mountaineers
- Appalachian State enters the game at 8-17 overall and 4-8 in the SoCon;
- The Mountaineers have lost four of their last six games, including a 64-58 home loss to Wofford on February 15;
- Three Mountaineers average double led by Jay Canty who averages 13.1 points per game in only seven games;
- Canty, who was a preseason all-conference selection, missed the first 12 games of the season for academic reasons and six games due to injury ... He has played in the last two games.
- Tab Hamilton averages 13.6 points per game with Mike Neal at 10.1 points per game.
- App State is 7-6 in home contest this season including a 3-4 mark against SoCon opponents at home.
- Head coach Jason Campbell is in his fourth season in Boone.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- WCU wraps up its home slate with The Citadel on Saturday, February 22 at 2 p.m. before welcoming Chattanooga on Thursday, February 27 at 7 p.m. ... The game against the Mocs will be Senior Day as WCU will honor its five seniors prior to trip off.
- The Catamounts beat the Bulldogs 78-60 on the road in the first meeting on January 25 ... The Citadel is 0-13 in the SoCon.