Feb. 15, 2014
Greensboro, N.C. -
Western Carolina men's basketball team looks to return to its winning ways as the Catamounts travel to UNCG Sunday for tipoff at 2 p.m. in the Greensboro Coliseum after suffering a loss at Chattanooga Friday night.
CSN Broadcast | Live Stats | Live Video |   UNCG Game 27 Notes
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina enters the game at 14-12 overall and 7-4 in the SoCon after an 83-73 loss at Chattanooga (02/14) ... The Catamounts have won three of their last five games including an overtime win, 84-75, over SoCon rival App State (02/08).
- WCU won eight straight in the Ramsey Center before falling to Davidson (01/23), 82-77... The Catamounts are 10-1 entering Monday in the Ramsey Center... WCU is 90-40 under head coach Larry Hunter at home.
- Trey Sumler, 18.0 points per game, leads three Catamounts in double-digits ... Sumler had notched back-to-back 20 point games after tallying 25 points against App State (02/08) and 24 points against Furman (02/10) before scoring only 12 points at Chatt (02/14) ... Brandon Boggs and James Sinclair average 11.2 and 10.9 ppg respectively.
- Sumler is fourth in the SoCon in points per game and LEADS the league in assists at 4.3 per game;
- Sumler has scored 1,872 career points ranking him third on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked tenth on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is third ranked player with over 1,500 career points and 350 career assists.
- WCU leads the SoCon in steals at 7.8, turnover margin at +1.85 and offensive rebounds at 13.7 per game.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 640 career wins over 33 seasons.
WCU vs. UNCG: The Series History
- The Catamounts and Spartans have met 43 times with WCU owning a 27-16 record in the series;
- WCU is 8-8 in road games at UNCG including wins in four of the last five games in Greensboro ... The Catamounts won the last game, 70-68, at UNCG on February 14, 2013;
- The Catamounts have won the last four meetings and 12 of the last 13 including a 72-51 decision over the Spartans on January 2 in the first meeting between the two schools this season;
- WCU is 15-5 under head coach Larry Hunter ... Hunter's Catamounts are 8-1 against UNCG's head coach Wes Miller.
Scouting the Spartans
- UNCG enters the game at 12-14 overall and 5-6 in Southern Conference games ... The Spartans are also 8-5 at home;
- The Spartans enter after a 68-56 win over Georgia Southern on February 13 ... UNCG has lost five of its last seven games.
- Kyle Cain leads three Spartans in double figures at 15.3 points per game ... Cain also grabs a team-high 9.2 rebounds per game -- second in the SoCon ... He is shooting 47.9 percent;
- Tevon Saddler and Kayel Locke follow with 12.7 points per game and 11.9 points per game respectively.
- UNCG leads the lead in field goal percent defense allowing teams to shoot only 43.3 percent, in rebounding offense grabbing 37.1 rebounds per game, in rebounding margin at +2.4 and in defensive rebounds at 26.6 per game.
- Wes Miller is in his third season as the Spartan head coach.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- WCU wraps up its current three-game road trip with App State on Thursday, February 20 at 7 p.m.;
- The Catamounts defeated the Mountaineers 84-75 in overtime in the first meeting back on February 8 in Cullowhee.
- WCU wraps up its home slate with The Citadel on Saturday, February 22 at 2 p.m. and Chattanooga on Thursday, February 27 at 7 p.m.