Feb. 7, 2014
Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina's men's basketball team ends a nine-day layoff as the Catamounts host Southern Conference rival Appalachian State Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in the Ramsey Center presented by Amy Manshack State Farm Insurance.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 12-11 overall and 5-3 in the SoCon ... WCU has lost THREE of its last FOUR games including a 74-60 loss at Elon (01/30) in its LAST game;
- The Catamounts had reeled off FIVE straight wins including FOUR straight to open SoCon play;
- WCU had also won EIGHT straight in the Ramsey Center before FALLING to Davidson (01/23), 82-77... The Catamounts are 8-1 entering Saturday in the Ramsey Center... WCU is 88-40 under head coach Larry Hunter at HOME.
- Trey Sumler, 17.7 points per game, leads THREE Catamounts in double-digits ... James Sinclair AVERAGES 10.6 points per game ... Brandon Boggs FOLLOWS at 10.4 points per game;
- Sumler is FIFTH in the SoCon in points per game and LEADS the league in assists at 4.4 per game;
- Sumler has SCORED 1,811 career points ranking him FIFTH on the WCU all-time scoring list ... Sumler is ranked TENTH on the NCAA active career scoring lists ... He is THIRD ranked player with over 1,500 career points and 350 career assists with his 1,811 points and 450 career assists.
- WCU LEADS the SoCon in steals at 7.7 and turnover margin at +1.8.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active WINNINGEST coach in the NCAA at 642 career wins over 33 seasons ... He has been a head coach in 1,014 career games.
WCU vs. App State: The Series History
- WCU is 64-108 all-time against the Mountaineers ... App State OWNS a 46-26 mark in SoCon games and HOLDS slight edge, 42-40, in games played in Cullowhee;
-WCU has PLAYED App State 172 times -- MORE than any other opponent in school history.
- The Catamounts have won FOUR of the last SIX meetings including the last THREE games played in the Ramsey Center.
- The two teams SPLIT the series in the 2012-13 season ... WCU WON the FIRST meeting 70-64 in Cullowhee ... App State WON the SECOND meeting 74-65 on February 2.
- This is the LAST meeting in the Ramsey Center as SoCon foes as App State LEAVES for the Sun Belt in 2014-15.
Scouting the Mountaineers
- Appalachian State ENTERS the game at 7-15 overall and 3-5 in the SoCon;
- The Mountaineers have lost TWO of their last THREE games, but are coming off a 54-45 WIN over The Citadel on February 6 at home;
- THREE Mountaineers average DOUBLE FIGURES led by Jay Canty who averages 17.6 points per game in only five games;
- Canty, who was a preseason all-conference selection, MISSED the first 12 games of the season for academic reasons and the last FIVE games due to injury;
- Tab Hamilton AVERAGES 13.5 points per game with Mike Neal at 10.8 points per game.
- App State is 1-10 in ROAD games and 1-3 in SoCon AWAY games this season.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Catamounts STAY home with Furman on February 10 at 7 p.m. ... The game will be AIRED on ESPN3, ESPN Full Court and CSS as the SoCon Game of the Week.
- The Catamounts HIT the road for THREE games at Chattanooga on February 13, at UNCG on February 16 and at App State on February 20.
On Saturday (Feb. 8) afternoon, Western Carolina Football and the Catamount Club will host a National Signing Day reception in conjunction with the Catamounts' home men's basketball game on-campus in Cullowhee. The event will be held in the first floor Hospitality Room in the Ramsey Center as a part of the pregame "Purple Zone" prior to WCU's final regular season Southern Conference match-up with the Appalachian State Mountaineers, presented by Amy Manshack State Farm Insurance. Fans are encouraged to purchase their tickets for the basketball game in advance of the signing day reception.
For the convenience of Catamount Club members, there will also be a special "Purple Zone" set-up on the Ramsey Center concourse for those just attending the basketball game, which tips at 2:00 pm.
The signing day event, which is open to the public, will begin at Noon and will include light refreshments. Speir will present the members of the 2014 incoming class with video highlights of each signee. The event will also be streamed LIVE free-of-charge through Catamount All-Access, online at CatamountSports.com.
Those who plan to attend Saturday afternoon's National Signing Day reception are asked to RSVP with the Catamount Club Office by calling (828) 227-3084 or via E-mail at email@example.com as seating is limited.