Jan. 29, 2014
Elon, N.C. -
Western Carolina, who sits two games back in the Southern Conference standings, looks to make up some ground as the Catamounts take on Elon Thursday in Alumni Gymnasium with tipoff slated for 7 p.m.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 12-10 and 5-2 in the SoCon after a 78-60 WIN over The Citadel (01/25);
- The win SNAPPED a two-game slide following losses at Wofford, 71-60, (01/20) and at home against Davidson, 82-77, (01/23);
- The David LOSS snapped WCU's 8-0 HOME start and the Wofford broke WCU's 4-0 SOCON start.
- Trey Sumler was awarded his SECOND SoCon Player of the Week honors (12/31) becoming the SECOND Catamount to earn POTW in THREE different SEASONS ... It was also his SECOND time this season winning POTW;
- Sumler NOTCHED a career-high 40 points during the week against Milligan (12/30) becoming the first player since Kevin Martin in 2003-04 to score 40 or more points;
- Sumler leads FOUR Catamounts in average DOUBLE-DIGITS points per game at 18.3 ppg ... James Sinclair averages 10.2 ppg and Brandon Boggs and Tom Tankelewicz sit at 10.0 ppg;
- Sumler is FOURTH in the SoCon in points per game and LEADS the league in assists per game at 4.5;
- Sumler is the THIRD ranked player in the NCAA with over 1,000 career points and 350 career assists ... He is the 10th ACTIVE player in SCORING in the NCAA.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 640 career wins over 33 seasons ... He has been a head coach in 1,013 career games.
WCU vs. Elon: The Series
- The Catamounts and Phoenix have met 84 TIMES prior to Thursday's contest with WCU TRAILING in the series 39-45;
- WCU is 11-10 in SoCon games against Elon and 10-23 on the road including an 80-73 loss on February 16, 2013 at Elon;
- The Catamounts CLAIMED a 74-62 home WIN over Elon on January 4 back in Cullowhee ... Trey Sumler
TALLIED 21 points ... WCU FORCED 23 Elon turnovers in the game.
- Elon and WCU were BOTH former MEMBERS of the old NAIA North State Conference from 1946-60 from available records.
Scouting the Phoenix
- Elon, who was picked to win the SoCon in the preseason, ENTERS the game at 10-11 overall and 3-3 in the SoCon;
- The Phoenix have LOST their last THREE games including a 62-59 decision at Samford on January 25.
- Elon LEADS the SoCon in all three shooting percent categories , in assists at 14.4 per game, in assists/turnover ratio at 1.1 and in 3-point field goals made at 8.5 per game.
- FOUR Phoenix players average double-digits points per game LED by Lucas Troutman at 15.5 ppg ... Sebastian Koch follows with 12.8 ppg ... Troutman allows GRABS a team-high 6.0 rebounds per game;
- Troutman MAKES 51.9 percent of his field goals ;
- Elon is COACHED by Matt Matheny in is FIFTH season at the helm.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- The Catamounts RETURN home for two games starting with Appalachian State on February 8 at 2 p.m. and ending with Furman on February 10 at 7 p.m.
- Following the mini-home streak, the Catamounts HIT the road for THREE games at Chattanooga on February 13, at UNCG on February 16 and at App State on February 20.