Jan. 22, 2014
Box Score |
Cullowhee, N.C. -
Western Carolina men's basketball looks to regroup - after suffering a 71-60 loss at Wofford in its last game -- and remain unbeaten in the Ramsey Center - WCU has started 8-0 in the friend confines -- as SoCon foe Davidson travels to Cullowhee Thursday, January 23 for tipoff slated for 7 p.m.
Davidson Game 21 Notes | Live Stats | CSN Broadcast | Live Video
In celebration of Western Carolina University's 125th Anniversary, Ingles and WCU have teamed up to provide fans discounted tickets. Catamount fans will be able to go to any of the 52 participating Western North Carolina Ingles stores and pick-up a coupon good for a discounted ticket, while supplies last.
The ticket will be good for $3 off any ticket purchased to the Catamount men's game against the Davidson Wildcats on Thursday, January 23. Tip-off of the special "WHITE OUT" game where all fans are being asked to wear white is scheduled for 7:00 pm. The first 500 fans at the game on January 23rd will receive a FREE WCU 125th Anniversary commemorative T-shirt, courtesy of Ingles.
The coupon will also be good for $2 tickets to the women's basketball game against Georgia Southern on Saturday, January 25 with tipoff at 2 pm.
The Western Carolina Review
- Western Carolina ENTERS the game at 11-9 and 4-1 in the SoCon after 71-60 loss at Wofford Monday
- The loss snapped WCU's five-game WIN STREAK -- including FOUR consecutive SoCon games to open the 2013-14 season;
- Trey Sumler was awarded his SECOND SoCon Player of the Week honors (12/31) becoming the SECOND Catamount to earn POTW in THREE different SEASONS ... It was also his SECOND time this season winning POTW;
- Sumler NOTCHED a career-high 40 points during the week against Milligan (12/30) becoming the first player since Kevin Martin in 2003-04 to score 40 or more points;
- Sumler leads THREE Catamounts in average DOUBLE-DIGITS points per game at 18.9 ppg ... Brandon Boggs AVERAGES 10.0 ppg and James Sinclair AVERAGES 10.2 ppg;
- Sumler is THIRD in the SoCon in points per game and LEADS the league in assists per game at 4.4;
- Sumler is ONE of only TEN players in the NCAA with over 1,000 career points and 350 career assists ... He is the 11th ACTIVE player in SCORING in the NCAA.
- Head coach Larry Hunter is the 11th active winningest coach in the NCAA at 640 career wins over 33 seasons ... He has been a head coach in 1,011 career games.
WCU vs. Davidson Quick Series Hitters
- The Catamounts and Wildcats have met 60 times PREVIOUSLY with Davidson holding a 40-20 ADVANTAGE in the series;
- WCU is 9-16 at HOME and 16-37 in SOCON games;
- UNDER coach Hunter WCU is 3-11 against Davidson.
- The Catamounts are looking to snap a FOUR-GAME slide against the Wildcats ... Davidson SWEPT the TWO meetings last season WINNING 79-74 in Cullowhee on January 24 and 73-59 at Davidson on February 7 -- Davidson led early in the game and cruised to the win.
- The series STARTED in the 1977-78 season when WCU joined the SoCon ... An 82-76 Wildcat WIN ... WCU LAST won, 81-73, at HOME on January 8, 2011.
Scouting the Wildcats
- Davidson ENTERS after a 93-82 win at UNCG on January 18 ... The Wildcats have won FOUR of their last FIVE games ... Its only loss during the stretch came in OT at home, 87-85, against preseason favorite Elon on January 16;
- De'Mon Brooks, who was the SoCon preseason Player of the Year, LEADS Davidson with 17.8 ppg and 7.1 rebounds per game ... The Wildcats have THREE other players averaging DOUBLE-DIGITS -- Brian Sullivan 12.3 ppg, Tom Droney 11.6 ppg and Tyler Kalinoski 10.9 ppg;
- Davidson LEADS the SoCon in turnover margin at +2.16 ... They are SECOND in assist/turnover ratio at 1.1 ... And THIRD in scoring offense at 78.3 ppg.
- Davidson was PICKED to finish SECOND by the league's coaches and media this season ... The Wildcats have WON the LEAGUE the last TWO seasons.
What's Next for Western Carolina
- WCU hits the ROAD for a TWO game swing at The Citadel on Saturday, January 25 for tipoff at 7 p.m.;
- The Catamounts are 30-34 ALL-TIME against the Bulldogs.
- Before TRAVELING to Elon on Thursday, January 30 ... WCU WON the FIRST meeting between the two schools 74-62 in the Ramsey Center on January 4.
Monetary donations will be collected at Western Carolina University's home men's basketball game in Ramsey Regional Activity Center on Thursday, Jan. 23, to assist people who lost their jobs at three Cullowhee businesses that closed after a November fire. Tip-off is 7:00 pm and doors open at 6:00 pm.
Volunteers from the Center for Service Learning in partnership with Cullowhee United Methodist Church will collect cash and check donations before and during the first half of WCU's game against Davidson.
For those who wish to give but cannot attend the basketball game, donations will be accepted by the WCU Wesley Foundation at CUMC through Thursday, Jan. 30. To make a donation via PayPal, go to wcuwesley.com, click "donate" and put "Cullowhee Fire" in the message section. To donate by mail, send a check with "Cullowhee Fire" in the memo line to CUMC, P.O. Box, 1267, Cullowhee, N.C. 28723.
For more information about the fundraiser, visit "WCU hosting fundraiser for Cullowhee fire victims," or contact Lane Perry, director of the Center for Service Learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 828-246-5171.
New WCU Basketball Tradition! Whee Rise as Catamounts!
WCU is beginning a new tradition at Catamount basketball games which was debuted at the home win over Samford.
Just prior to tipoff of the game, our spirit squad will be going into the aisles throughout the arena. They will be encouraging Catamount fans to get on their feet until we score our first point. While standing, we will have the spirit squad and band leading the way with a rhythmic clap. Once the Catamounts score, fans can take their seats and our spirit squad will go back to their position on the floor.
So this Thursday vs. Davidson at 7:00 pm - and for the rest of the season at the start of the game... Rise as Catamounts!